Rossy de Palma is great but she’s not in enough scenes to salvage a movie that lacks substance and focus.
The vivid cinematography, affecting performance by Wolfe, and lack of saccharine allow the film to resonate.
The screenplay doesn’t rise to the level of the behind-the-camera craftmanship or the acting.
- Mar 7th 2018 | More Than a Century of Scares
- Mar 2nd 2018 | Creature Double Feature: An Appreciation
- Feb 26th 2018 | The 90th Academy Awards Ballot, Berardinelli Edition
- Jan 31st 2018 | Dead Again
- Jan 22nd 2018 | Stars, Thumbs, and Veggies
- Dec 31st 2017 | Rewinding 2017 - The 5 Most Overrated Films of the Year
- Dec 27th 2017 | Rewinding 2017 - The Top 10
A recognition that historical politics can be just as bizarre and absurd as the modern flavor.
Possibly the most faithful adaptation of a video game to-date but faithfulness to the source material doesn’t always result in the best cinematic experience.
Part romantic-comedy and part coming-of-age story, this is an upbeat, uplifting, and teen-friendly crowd-pleaser.
Saddled with an unevenly paced screenplay and overly reliant on generic CGI, "A Wrinkle in Time" fails to convey the magic of the book.
"Gringo" is messy and at times incoherent, filled with pointless subplots and confounding “twists.”
This dark twist on the female coming-of-age story is worth seeing as much for its subdued thriller aspects as for its warped sense of humor.
The muddling of historical fiction with the Grand Guignol is an uneven mix that never fully gels.