Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue May 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Our first troll... 
Second Unit Director

Post Our first troll...
Consider this my public service announcement:

The new Reelviews site JUST launched and we ALREADY have our first troll. I call him "Fexer." The member is going by Vexer, but it is not "our" Vexer. His first post was actually pretty well written and funny. I admit I laughed. But I cannot overlook the serious breach in online etiquette. You do not steal the screen name of a regular contributor like that! Ken tried calling him out, and Fexer then gave a quite troll-like response. So, the advice stands as it does with all trolls. Don't feed him and hopefully he will go away.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:16 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Our first troll...
It was obviously written by someone who is quite familiar with board Vexer's posts. I wish I could claim something as clever, but sullying a new board with this was bad form. I don't wish a PC virus on them, but do hope they forget a password.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:16 pm
Director

Well...when you're consistently contrarian, you're basically setting yourself up for parody. I think I have an idea who the troll is, but I'm not 100% sure. It isn't me; I don't have that kind of time.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:19 pm
Auteur

Yeah I noticed that myself, i'm guessing the troll is roastbeef.

Anyways I had to get a different username for the comments section because of that troll, and no I am not "consistently contrarian", i've gone with public opinion many times before.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:27 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Not cool.

And this is why the site should use the same accounts for both the forum and the review comments!

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:53 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
and no I am not "consistently contrarian"

I am willing to make a bet right now that you aren't interested in seeing Ex Machina (even though your self parody alter ego liked it so much)...and think every movie in the Worst Of Genre List: Ultraviolet, Skyline, and Mission to Mars, are good movies.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:53 am
Director

Consistently contrarian to WHAT? Rottentomatoes? Or to the "regular posters" on reelviews, who amount to, uh...what, three people now on a good day?

And seriously, not desiring to see Ex Machina is contrarian? So some bloggers on the internet liked it who call themselves "critics." Who gives a shit?

It doesn't surprise me when JB opens a new avenue for discussion that the first major comments are just from some guy who wants to try to make fun of Vexer. Because isn't that the main thing our forum has always focused on anyway?

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:49 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
It doesn't surprise me when JB opens a new avenue for discussion that the first major comments are just from some guy who wants to try to make fun of Vexer. Because isn't that the main thing our forum has always focused on anyway?

Well, Vexer is doing a pretty good job of making fun of himself already:

Vexer wrote:
no I am not "consistently contrarian"

I mean, that's very funny (and clever, if intended).

Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:09 am
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Consistently contrarian to WHAT? Rottentomatoes? Or to the "regular posters" on reelviews, who amount to, uh...what, three people now on a good day?

And seriously, not desiring to see Ex Machina is contrarian? So some bloggers on the internet liked it who call themselves "critics." Who gives a shit?

I wasn't out to make fun of anyone with my post. I just said that being consistently contrarian sets you up for mockery. Kind of like Skip Bayless and Armond White. Nobody takes them seriously, because they are contrarian for the sake of being so. My position is the same as always; holding a contrary opinion is fine. Just be prepared to defend it.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:38 am
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

I wasn't out to make fun of anyone with my post. I just said that being consistently contrarian sets you up for mockery. Kind of like Skip Bayless and Armond White. Nobody takes them seriously, because they are contrarian for the sake of being so. My position is the same as always; holding a contrary opinion is fine. Just be prepared to defend it.

I'm not automatically contrarian for the sake of being so just because I disagree with a few popular opinions, that makes no sense, and I do not believe i'm setting myself up for mockery just by stating my honest opinions, and I don't believe White is either(can't speak for Bayless as i've never even heard of him before)

Last edited by Vexer on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:55 pm
Auteur

Unke wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

Well, Vexer is doing a pretty good job of making fun of himself already:

Vexer wrote:
no I am not "consistently contrarian"

I fail to see the humor here and I hardly see how calling out someone out for posing as me is making fun of myself in any way.

Last edited by Vexer on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:55 pm
Auteur

CruJones wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I am willing to make a bet right now that you aren't interested in seeing Ex Machina (even though your self parody alter ego liked it so much)...and think every movie in the Worst Of Genre List: Ultraviolet, Skyline, and Mission to Mars, are good movies.

Actually that's where you're wrong, that film does look kind of interesting to me, it's not something i'd see in theaters but it's definitely something i'll likely check out on DVD.

Whether those films are the worst of the genre is merely your opinion, not a fact, and had you done your research, you would know that I do not in fact like "Mission To Mars" one bit, I think it's a pretty awful film.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:58 pm
Director

Unke wrote:

The response to this does not disappoint.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:08 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
CruJones wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Actually that's where you're wrong, that film does look kind of interesting to me, it's not something i'd see in theaters but it's definitely something i'll likely check out on DVD.

Whether those films are the worst of the genre is merely your opinion, not a fact, and had you done your research, you would know that I do not in fact like "Mission To Mars" one bit, I think it's a pretty awful film.

Well I was 2/3. I'll take those odds every single time I go to Vegas.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:30 pm
Director

Do so often so you'll be out of commission more quickly.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:22 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:

I don't think you understand odds in Vegas. If I'm guaranteed 66 % I would be Super duper set......most likely.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:37 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
(can't speak for Bayless as i've never even heard of him before)

Skip Bayless is a sports commentator on ESPN and a professional contrarian. He's a bit like Brian from Family Guy; disagreeable for the sake of being so and generally obnoxious. You don't want to be like Skip Bayless. Nobody likes Skip Bayless.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:35 pm
Director

CruJones wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

I don't think you understand odds in Vegas. If I'm guaranteed 66 % I would be Super duper set......most likely.

House'll still win in the end.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:50 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
CruJones wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

House'll still win in the end.

Do you math bro? The reason the house always wins is because the house always has a positive outcome. The house has odds of more than 50% for every game the player chooses.

Now if I'm guaranteed a 66% chance of winning, that would give me a positive outcome and I would bankrupt the house (as long as I have a large enough bank roll).

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:11 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
(can't speak for Bayless as i've never even heard of him before)

Skip Bayless is a sports commentator on ESPN and a professional contrarian. He's a bit like Brian from Family Guy; disagreeable for the sake of being so and generally obnoxious. You don't want to be like Skip Bayless. Nobody likes Skip Bayless.

Skip Bayless sucks and I hope one day he walks into the ocean and tries to breathe under water...but in his defense, he is given a script of what to read and how to act everyday and makes millions doing it. I don't think he actually believes the nonsense he says, he is just paid to rustle jimmies.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:18 pm