Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue May 05, 2015 5:23 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Our first troll... 
Author Message
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 214
Post Our first troll...
Consider this my public service announcement:

The new Reelviews site JUST launched and we ALREADY have our first troll. I call him "Fexer." The member is going by Vexer, but it is not "our" Vexer. His first post was actually pretty well written and funny. I admit I laughed. But I cannot overlook the serious breach in online etiquette. You do not steal the screen name of a regular contributor like that! Ken tried calling him out, and Fexer then gave a quite troll-like response. So, the advice stands as it does with all trolls. Don't feed him and hopefully he will go away.


Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:16 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 267
Post Re: Our first troll...
It was obviously written by someone who is quite familiar with board Vexer's posts. I wish I could claim something as clever, but sullying a new board with this was bad form. I don't wish a PC virus on them, but do hope they forget a password.

_________________
______________________________
My milkshake bringeth all thee gentlefolk to mine yard. Verily, 'tis better than thine. I would instruct thee, but I must levy a fee.


Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:16 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1769
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Our first troll...
Well...when you're consistently contrarian, you're basically setting yourself up for parody. I think I have an idea who the troll is, but I'm not 100% sure. It isn't me; I don't have that kind of time.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:19 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3715
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Our first troll...
Yeah I noticed that myself, i'm guessing the troll is roastbeef.

Anyways I had to get a different username for the comments section because of that troll, and no I am not "consistently contrarian", i've gone with public opinion many times before.


Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:27 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:52 am
Posts: 145
Post Re: Our first troll...
Not cool.

And this is why the site should use the same accounts for both the forum and the review comments!


Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:53 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:05 am
Posts: 227
Post Re: Our first troll...
Vexer wrote:
and no I am not "consistently contrarian"
...

I am willing to make a bet right now that you aren't interested in seeing Ex Machina (even though your self parody alter ego liked it so much)...and think every movie in the Worst Of Genre List: Ultraviolet, Skyline, and Mission to Mars, are good movies.


Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:53 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1949
Post Re: Our first troll...
Consistently contrarian to WHAT? Rottentomatoes? Or to the "regular posters" on reelviews, who amount to, uh...what, three people now on a good day?

And seriously, not desiring to see Ex Machina is contrarian? So some bloggers on the internet liked it who call themselves "critics." Who gives a shit?

It doesn't surprise me when JB opens a new avenue for discussion that the first major comments are just from some guy who wants to try to make fun of Vexer. Because isn't that the main thing our forum has always focused on anyway?


Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:49 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 498
Post Re: Our first troll...
MGamesCook wrote:
It doesn't surprise me when JB opens a new avenue for discussion that the first major comments are just from some guy who wants to try to make fun of Vexer. Because isn't that the main thing our forum has always focused on anyway?


Well, Vexer is doing a pretty good job of making fun of himself already:

Vexer wrote:
no I am not "consistently contrarian"


I mean, that's very funny (and clever, if intended).


Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:09 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1769
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Our first troll...
MGamesCook wrote:
Consistently contrarian to WHAT? Rottentomatoes? Or to the "regular posters" on reelviews, who amount to, uh...what, three people now on a good day?

And seriously, not desiring to see Ex Machina is contrarian? So some bloggers on the internet liked it who call themselves "critics." Who gives a shit?

It doesn't surprise me when JB opens a new avenue for discussion that the first major comments are just from some guy who wants to try to make fun of Vexer. Because isn't that the main thing our forum has always focused on anyway?


I wasn't out to make fun of anyone with my post. I just said that being consistently contrarian sets you up for mockery. Kind of like Skip Bayless and Armond White. Nobody takes them seriously, because they are contrarian for the sake of being so. My position is the same as always; holding a contrary opinion is fine. Just be prepared to defend it.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:38 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3715
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Our first troll...
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Consistently contrarian to WHAT? Rottentomatoes? Or to the "regular posters" on reelviews, who amount to, uh...what, three people now on a good day?

And seriously, not desiring to see Ex Machina is contrarian? So some bloggers on the internet liked it who call themselves "critics." Who gives a shit?

It doesn't surprise me when JB opens a new avenue for discussion that the first major comments are just from some guy who wants to try to make fun of Vexer. Because isn't that the main thing our forum has always focused on anyway?


I wasn't out to make fun of anyone with my post. I just said that being consistently contrarian sets you up for mockery. Kind of like Skip Bayless and Armond White. Nobody takes them seriously, because they are contrarian for the sake of being so. My position is the same as always; holding a contrary opinion is fine. Just be prepared to defend it.

I'm not automatically contrarian for the sake of being so just because I disagree with a few popular opinions, that makes no sense, and I do not believe i'm setting myself up for mockery just by stating my honest opinions, and I don't believe White is either(can't speak for Bayless as i've never even heard of him before)


Last edited by Vexer on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:55 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3715
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Our first troll...
Unke wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
It doesn't surprise me when JB opens a new avenue for discussion that the first major comments are just from some guy who wants to try to make fun of Vexer. Because isn't that the main thing our forum has always focused on anyway?


Well, Vexer is doing a pretty good job of making fun of himself already:

Vexer wrote:
no I am not "consistently contrarian"


I mean, that's very funny (and clever, if intended).

I fail to see the humor here and I hardly see how calling out someone out for posing as me is making fun of myself in any way.


Last edited by Vexer on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:55 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3715
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Our first troll...
CruJones wrote:
Vexer wrote:
and no I am not "consistently contrarian"
...

I am willing to make a bet right now that you aren't interested in seeing Ex Machina (even though your self parody alter ego liked it so much)...and think every movie in the Worst Of Genre List: Ultraviolet, Skyline, and Mission to Mars, are good movies.

Actually that's where you're wrong, that film does look kind of interesting to me, it's not something i'd see in theaters but it's definitely something i'll likely check out on DVD.

Whether those films are the worst of the genre is merely your opinion, not a fact, and had you done your research, you would know that I do not in fact like "Mission To Mars" one bit, I think it's a pretty awful film.


Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:58 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1415
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Our first troll...
Unke wrote:
I mean, that's very funny (and clever, if intended).


The response to this does not disappoint.


Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:08 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:05 am
Posts: 227
Post Re: Our first troll...
Vexer wrote:
CruJones wrote:
Vexer wrote:
and no I am not "consistently contrarian"
...

I am willing to make a bet right now that you aren't interested in seeing Ex Machina (even though your self parody alter ego liked it so much)...and think every movie in the Worst Of Genre List: Ultraviolet, Skyline, and Mission to Mars, are good movies.

Actually that's where you're wrong, that film does look kind of interesting to me, it's not something i'd see in theaters but it's definitely something i'll likely check out on DVD.

Whether those films are the worst of the genre is merely your opinion, not a fact, and had you done your research, you would know that I do not in fact like "Mission To Mars" one bit, I think it's a pretty awful film.


Well I was 2/3. I'll take those odds every single time I go to Vegas.


Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:30 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1949
Post Re: Our first troll...
Do so often so you'll be out of commission more quickly.


Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:22 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:05 am
Posts: 227
Post Re: Our first troll...
MGamesCook wrote:
Do so often so you'll be out of commission more quickly.


I don't think you understand odds in Vegas. If I'm guaranteed 66 % I would be Super duper set......most likely.


Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:37 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1769
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Our first troll...
Vexer wrote:
(can't speak for Bayless as i've never even heard of him before)


Skip Bayless is a sports commentator on ESPN and a professional contrarian. He's a bit like Brian from Family Guy; disagreeable for the sake of being so and generally obnoxious. You don't want to be like Skip Bayless. Nobody likes Skip Bayless.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:35 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1949
Post Re: Our first troll...
CruJones wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Do so often so you'll be out of commission more quickly.


I don't think you understand odds in Vegas. If I'm guaranteed 66 % I would be Super duper set......most likely.


House'll still win in the end.


Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:50 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:05 am
Posts: 227
Post Re: Our first troll...
MGamesCook wrote:
CruJones wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Do so often so you'll be out of commission more quickly.


I don't think you understand odds in Vegas. If I'm guaranteed 66 % I would be Super duper set......most likely.


House'll still win in the end.


Do you math bro? The reason the house always wins is because the house always has a positive outcome. The house has odds of more than 50% for every game the player chooses.

Now if I'm guaranteed a 66% chance of winning, that would give me a positive outcome and I would bankrupt the house (as long as I have a large enough bank roll).


Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:11 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:05 am
Posts: 227
Post Re: Our first troll...
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
(can't speak for Bayless as i've never even heard of him before)


Skip Bayless is a sports commentator on ESPN and a professional contrarian. He's a bit like Brian from Family Guy; disagreeable for the sake of being so and generally obnoxious. You don't want to be like Skip Bayless. Nobody likes Skip Bayless.


Skip Bayless sucks and I hope one day he walks into the ocean and tries to breathe under water...but in his defense, he is given a script of what to read and how to act everyday and makes millions doing it. I don't think he actually believes the nonsense he says, he is just paid to rustle jimmies.


Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:18 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr