Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu May 07, 2015 2:40 am

Banshee 
Assistant Director

Post Banshee
Banshee is in its 3rd season already I am very surprised in not seeing thread here. It is my favourite TV show since season 1 and season 3 started with an incredible intensity. Any other fans of Banshee here?

Attachments:
Banshee.JPG
Banshee.JPG [ 15.51 KiB | Viewed 583 times ]

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Post Re: Banshee
I tried to watch this series but kind of gave up about the middle of the first season. It is just a poorly written and sexual gratuitous version of Justified. I wasn't turned off by the wildly contrived set up where Anthony Starr takes over the identity of a new sheriff killed 5 seconds after he arrives into the town and has no extended family,wife,girlfriend,friends or fellow law enforcement associates who would notice him missing. Or the fact he gets pounded worse than Wiley E Coyote in every episode and just sleeps it off. It is that Anthony Starr's character is such a complete A-hole and psychotic fascist with a long string of police brutality,extrajudicial murder and civil right abuses in nearly every episode. The bad guy in the town doesn't have to take him out he just has to go to the Justice Dept. I started to hate all his fellow police officers in the town that are complicit in all his crimes. Then there is his sleeping with what appears to be an underaged Amish girl who looks like a Playboy centerfold. Now what really crossed the line was the character of the sadistic albino and how Starr deals with him. I found that so offensive it is off the scale of heinous bigotry given the superstition,taunting and discrimination these people face even in North America. The show probably has a lot of defenders with it's combination of gratuitous nudity,senseless violence and fascist ethos but I have to give it a pass.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:55 am
Assistant Director

oakenshield32 wrote:
I tried to watch this series but kind of gave up about the middle of the first season. It is just a poorly written and sexual gratuitous version of Justified. I wasn't turned off by the wildly contrived set up where Anthony Starr takes over the identity of a new sheriff killed 5 seconds after he arrives into the town and has no extended family,wife,girlfriend,friends or fellow law enforcement associates who would notice him missing. Or the fact he gets pounded worse than Wiley E Coyote in every episode and just sleeps it off. It is that Anthony Starr's character is such a complete A-hole and psychotic fascist with a long string of police brutality,extrajudicial murder and civil right abuses in nearly every episode. The bad guy in the town doesn't have to take him out he just has to go to the Justice Dept. I started to hate all his fellow police officers in the town that are complicit in all his crimes. Then there is his sleeping with what appears to be an underaged Amish girl who looks like a Playboy centerfold. Now what really crossed the line was the character of the sadistic albino and how Starr deals with him. I found that so offensive it is off the scale of heinous bigotry given the superstition,taunting and discrimination these people face even in North America. The show probably has a lot of defenders with it's combination of gratuitous nudity,senseless violence and fascist ethos but I have to give it a pass.

Fair enough. I understand that the show is not for every one.Season 1 is the less liked 61% fresh in RT ( 23 reviews) and have the following critics consensus
Quote:
Its trappings are nothing new and Its lurid combination of violence and sex will likely turn away some viewers, but Banshee can be entertaining in some distinctive ways.

Lili Simmons (attached pic) the Amish Girl who looks like a playboy centerfold :mrgreen: was born on 22 of July 1992

I personally do not take it too seriously and find it rather entertaining (a thrill ride of sex, violence , entertaining and some time compelling narrative) . In particularly season 3 which is at the moment100% fresh in RT which started with a lot of intensity and made me to create a thread here :-)

I should have probably posted the RT consensus of Season 1 to avoid some disappointments :(

Attachments:
Lili Simmons.JPG
Lili Simmons.JPG [ 35.6 KiB | Viewed 105 times ]

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:41 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

unwindfilms wrote:

Fair enough. I understand that the show is not for every one.Season 1 is the less liked 61% fresh in RT ( 23 reviews) and have the following critics consensus
Quote:
Its trappings are nothing new and Its lurid combination of violence and sex will likely turn away some viewers, but Banshee can be entertaining in some distinctive ways.

Lili Simmons (attached pic) the Amish Girl who looks like a playboy centerfold :mrgreen: was born on 22 of July 1992

I personally do not take it too seriously and find it rather entertaining (a thrill ride of sex, violence , entertaining and some time compelling narrative) . In particularly season 3 which is at the moment100% fresh in RT which started with a lot of intensity and made me to create a thread here :-)

I should have probably posted the RT consensus of Season 1 to avoid some disappointments :(

It is not the sex and violence that is the problem as I enjoyed Spartacus and Rome mini series but they had lead characters that one could empathize with even as flawed individuals. It is mainly Anthony Starr character is impossible to like and seems to act as bad or worse as the bad guys in the series. I started to think that Kai Proctor was the normal and reasonable one in the town having to deal with the totally psycho sheriff

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:49 pm
Assistant Director

oakenshield32 wrote:

It is not the sex and violence that is the problem as I enjoyed Spartacus and Rome mini series but they had lead characters that one could empathize with even as flawed individuals. It is mainly Anthony Starr character is impossible to like and seems to act as bad or worse as the bad guys in the series. I started to think that Kai Proctor was the normal and reasonable one in the town having to deal with the totally psycho sheriff

Sheriff Hood (Starr) and Kai Proctor (Thomsen) are characters that get slowly developed arc during the 3 seasons of the series although I liked Starr character from the beginning (understood him better as the TV season went on) and I could write more and even provide examples but of course will be hard to understand if you have not seen the 3 seasons. Now I would not recommend this TV series for the dramatic performances but more for the action scenes and the non old fashion plot which are very entertaining in my view (and it has some sex scenes too lol) . Returning to my original question that seems to be forgotten:

Quote:
Any other fans of Banshee here?

By the way, there are some fans out there as Banshee has a score of 8.4 in IMDB (from 36400 votes)

Attachments:
Banshee.JPG
Banshee.JPG [ 26.48 KiB | Viewed 76 times ]

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

unwindfilms wrote:
Quote:
Any other fans of Banshee here?

By the way, there are some fans out there as Banshee has a score of 8.4 in IMDB (from 36400 votes)

I think that there is not a lot of people who watch it here in North America as Cinemax is a premium cable channel that is as expensive as HBO and no one I know has heard of it. A better gauge would be illegal download numbers and I don't see it the top ten or twenty. Here is an article of what happened to a Banshee fan who tried to illegally download the series here which cuts down on people who can see it without paying an arm or a leg or buying the DVDs. I only got to see it once the library had it available and there was no waiting list like Game of Thrones or Walking Dead which is always 500 to 700 persons long.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1848297/internet-users-receive-illegal-downloading-notices-but-what-do-they-mean/

Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:53 pm
Assistant Director

oakenshield32 wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:

I think that there is not a lot of people who watch it here in North America as Cinemax is a premium cable channel that is as expensive as HBO and no one I know has heard of it. A better gauge would be illegal download numbers and I don't see it the top ten or twenty. Here is an article of what happened to a Banshee fan who tried to illegally download the series here which cuts down on people who can see it without paying an arm or a leg or buying the DVDs......[/url]

Well another option (as checking it out from a public library) is to rent it out from a video store , season 1 and 2 are available and there are always good cheap deals around for weeklies . Rent season 1 and if you like it then rent season 2. I even liked so much season 1 that I bought the blu ray :)

Attachments:
Banshee.JPG
Banshee.JPG [ 36.68 KiB | Viewed 55 times ]

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

unwindfilms wrote:

Well another option (as checking it out from a public library) is to rent it out from a video store , season 1 and 2 are available and there are always good cheap deals around for weeklies . Rent season 1 and if you like it then rent season 2. I even liked so much season 1 that I bought the blu ray :)

That maybe a problem as there is nowhere to rent movies in most places in Canada anymore. Blockbuster Video and Rogers Video two large national chains have both closed up shop across the country and the independent video stores have also all disappeared. I guess Canadians don't like leaving their house with illegal downloading and legitimate VOD. Though our national streaming services are expensive as you have to be a basic cable subscriber first with a big Telecom and add on 5-10 dollars each month to your bill for VOD and you still can't see Banshee as HBO/Cinemax only allows its through premium cable channels not basic streaming. I think the lack of video stores and the choking of content has really hurt lesser known shows that could have found a larger audience by just advertising itself on the video rack like how an unknown movie like Donnie Darko did.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:40 am