Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon May 25, 2015 9:42 am

Mad Max: Fury Road 
Second Unit Director

Post Mad Max: Fury Road
So, we are 22 reviews deep at RT and Mad Max: Fury Road is holding steady at 100%. Invariably, it will settle into the 80's or 90's, but still, I'd guess it would hold as a certifiably fresh movie.

What a way to kick off the summer!

Mon May 11, 2015 12:19 pm
Director

Post Re: Mad Max: Fury Road
Yeah it does sound like a pretty damn fun movie.

Mon May 11, 2015 6:00 pm
Assistant Director

'If it was going to be George Miller, it was going to be exciting.'

Quote:
John Seale (Cinematography Oscar Winner) was retired. Then George Miller dangled a "Mad Max" movie in front of his face and, well, how can an Aussie say no? The 40-year veteran jumped right into the maelstrom Miller and his team were conjuring in the desert of west Africa and, along with killer second unit teams, captured one of the most innervating experiences of the year in "Mad Max: Fury Road." Oh, and he turned 70 years old while doing all of this.

I can hardly wait! I have already my Real 3D ticket for this Thursday and travelling to Melbourne this Friday to see it in IMAX 3D (already with ticket in hand :mrgreen: )

Attachments:
Mad Max Fury Road.JPG
Mad Max Fury Road.JPG [ 50.13 KiB | Viewed 479 times ]

Mon May 11, 2015 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

I just saw this movie in Real3D and it was sheer entertainment!

I would love to see it as the box office champ this week so I created this event in Facebook

Let's all go to see Mad Max Fury Road, Thank me later !

Anyone can join !!!

Attachments:
Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Banner-Charlize-Theron-Tom-Hardy.jpg
Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Banner-Charlize-Theron-Tom-Hardy.jpg [ 59.28 KiB | Viewed 406 times ]

Thu May 14, 2015 3:38 am
Profile WWW
Director

Why see this movie in gimmicky 3D? Especially after George Miller himself has encouraged audiences to see the 2D version.

Thu May 14, 2015 8:55 am
Assistant Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Why see this movie in gimmicky 3D? Especially after George Miller himself has encouraged audiences to see the 2D version.

Well I particularly If I want to see movies in 2D while I can see it in 3D then I better start wearing a pirate patch in one eye to see the real world in 2D as well . In other words I will never know how Mad Max Fury Road looks in 2D lol

In regarding Mad Max Fury Road which is a conversion but very well done. So far , I have seen it "only" in Real3D in my local Cinema was very crispy and well illuminated and the 3D was immerse with some scenes in fancy one , I even felt like I needed a belt to fasten to my seat lol as I thought the action scenes were enhanced rather than hindered in 3D for sure I did not feel that i was missing anything !

I am travelling tomorrow to Melbourne to specifically see it in IMAX 3D (I will also take the opportunity to see a footy game of my favourite AFL team too but the big attraction is a movie that I have seen already lol).

I suspect that Miller did not want to shoot natively in 3D due the size of the cameras for the rough natural environment and worry about the action scenes and stunts but I can tell you I did not see any blur and in fact they were enhanced as the conversion turned out rather well. I even think that some scenes were shot with having 3D in mind

In the past I have seen very bad 3D conversion but lately the technology seems rather advanced and I do not recall any in the recent past. Anyway, I have read some reviews that recommend it in 3D but one in particular than not.

I personally have a friend that can not see in 3D at all so for him is good that theatres still shows in 2D so he does not have to pay the surcharge. For the ones that do not have any physical issue with seeing movies in 3D then I certainly recommend this one in that format myself.

Anyway, I am on my way to Melbourne tomorrow so I will be off line for a couple of days :mrgreen:

PS: My thoughts about this film can be found here

Attachments:
Mad Max cerified Fresh.JPG
Mad Max cerified Fresh.JPG [ 55.64 KiB | Viewed 363 times ]

Thu May 14, 2015 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Director

Yeah, if the director who made the film doesn't recommend to see it in 3D, then I am not going to pay extra for it (he said it's unnecessary). Some have seen it in both formats and said that 3D dims the color, so yeah..

Thu May 14, 2015 10:14 am
Assistant Director

I was trying to locate where Miller said that so far I have only found this

Quote:
Plans to shoot the fourth Mad Max film, Fury Road, in full 3D have been scrapped and it will now be converted to 3D in the post-production process.

The trouble-plagued production is currently filming in the poverty-stricken African nation of Namibia after several delays and a shift from its original location in Broken Hill, Australia. The film stars Charlize Theron, who recently shaved her head for the role, and Tom Hardy. The first Mad Max film was released in 1979 with Mel Gibson in the lead role.

Filmmaker George Miller was understood to have been developing new 3D cameras and rigs based on technology originally developed by Dalsa Corporation although there was some scepticism that an untried system would be able to withstand the tough desert conditions and extensive stunt work the film requires.

“We are doing 3D on Fury Road – we are shooting with real 3D cameras,” Miller said in July, 2010. “Seven years ago we were going to shoot in 3D but the technology in cinemas wasn’t geared for it then but I always loved 3D or stereo.”

Thu May 14, 2015 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Director

unwindfilms wrote:
Well I particularly If I want to see movies in 2D while I can see it in 3D then I better start wearing a pirate patch in one eye to see the real world in 2D as well . In other words I will never know how Mad Max Fury Road looks in 2D lol

Yes, but a 2D film is perfectly capable of giving the illusion of 3D. It's called depth of field, and it's one of the most important tricks up a cinematographer's sleeve.

I have seen only one or two 3D movies that were actually enhanced by the 3D. And one of those was Goodbye to Language, where Godard was actively using the 3D to mess with the viewer. Point is, 3D is mostly a silly, shitty, stupid gimmick that does very little to enhance the viewing of a film. The sooner the filmgoing public realizes this, the better. Plus, they'll save money by not paying the ridiculous surcharges.

Thu May 14, 2015 10:48 am
Director

From USC cinema:

Thu May 14, 2015 10:53 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Mad Max was going to be a 3D animated movie at one point. Later, Miller wanted to shoot with real 3D cameras but "chickened out", according to this interview: http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/g ... ad-warrior

Hitfix wrote:
Now did you shoot native 3D, or did you post-convert?

We post-converted. We built cameras. We built six cameras that were small enough to get inside the vehicle and could withstand the heat and dust. Then I chickened out because if we lost even one… we often had 15 cameras and if we lost one camera even one day, like they couldn’t cool a camera enough and I thought, "Oh, there’s one camera down." We’ve lost up to three units, you know. We can’t get a camera in that case, so we made the decision to go digital which liberated us. Johnny Seale is someone who was very happy to put cameras everywhere,  multiple cameras. We ended up having cameras everywhere, and if we lost a camera, a crashed camera, we could go to the airport even in Namibia and buy another one for $1,500 to $2,000. That was big. Meantime, it took so long for these things to happen that the conversion is much, much better.

Thu May 14, 2015 11:05 am
Assistant Director

peng wrote:
From USC cinema:

There is not a direct quote and/or maybe he was referring to that particular Cinema. James Cameron has also complained in the past how some Cinemas do not present 3D well calibrated.

Miller certainly likes the format and in any case the conversion was well made in my opinion and I am certainly looking forward to see it in IMAX 3D :mrgreen:

Attachments:
Mad Max Fury Road.JPG
Mad Max Fury Road.JPG [ 49.3 KiB | Viewed 351 times ]

Thu May 14, 2015 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Director

Yes, but your recommendation comes with a caveat that you haven't seen it in 2D yet, so quite a few who have seen in both formats and say that 3D dims the color are more informed in their recommendation, which is in line with what Miller said to watch in 2D instead. And James Cameron complained because he actually and specifically shot the film in 3D and wanted the best representation possible. And your "direct quote" from Miller that he "loved 3D" is from 2010, far way back when Miller thought he was going to film it in 3D. He doesn't say anything about conversion.

Thu May 14, 2015 11:17 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
He doesn't say anything about conversion.

He did in the interview I quoted above.

As for the 3D-dims-the-colors argument, that's of course true, but a good cinema (like most IMAX screens) projects the movie with more lumens and the 3D digital "print" has more saturated colors to compensate.

Thu May 14, 2015 11:31 am
Second Unit Director

Why aren't you guise talking about what really matters?

110 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and one person decided to vex it up by going against the norm and giving it a rotten score.

Thu May 14, 2015 1:58 pm
Director

CruJones wrote:

110 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and one person decided to vex it up by going against the norm and giving it a rotten score.

Meh. Doesn't bother me any. The praise has been so strong all around that who cares if one or two people don't agree?

Thu May 14, 2015 4:58 pm
Second Unit Director

CruJones wrote:

Or, you know, someone honestly didn't like it. That's allowed.

Honestly, the hype has me tempering by expectations a little. There will be some audience backlash on this. Don't get me wrong, it's easily the summer movie I'm most amped for in years, but when people are calling it the best action movie since Die Hard, it's going to be hard to live up to that.

Thu May 14, 2015 5:17 pm
Director

Quote:
He did in the interview I quoted above.

Yes, but I was specifically referring to using his five-year-old quote as evidence to him being supportive of the 3D version of Fury Road.

Well, just got back from it too. I had tried to refrain from being possibly too hyperbolic by going on the rest of evening before thinking about it properly. But: someone says that this is going to be some kid's Aliens. Well, that and Speed are two of my most favorite actions films, and I'm pretty sure I loved this more than both of them. I had tempered my expectation down too when I heard that the plot is going to be minimum to allow for the film to be like one continuous chase. Sure, it sounds awesome, but also potentially too exhausting. That, and I don't share the extreme love for The Road Warrior. However, I hadn't expected what "minimum plot" there is to turn out to be really affecting, so much that I almost choked up real good during some action scenes. There's even time for a character arc or two! Excellent performances all around too, and one can't be too hyperbolic when it comes to Charlize Theron.

Thu May 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
CruJones wrote:

Meh. Doesn't bother me any. The praise has been so strong all around that who cares if one or two people don't agree?

It would have been cool for just once a movie live up to everybody's expectations and blow every single person's mind. It's not like I'm still not excited...

Thu May 14, 2015 7:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Shade2 wrote:
CruJones wrote:

Or, you know, someone honestly didn't like it. That's allowed.

Honestly, the hype has me tempering by expectations a little. There will be some audience backlash on this. Don't get me wrong, it's easily the summer movie I'm most amped for in years, but when people are calling it the best action movie since Die Hard, it's going to be hard to live up to that.

Now, it's 145 reviews, and a doosher from the Daily Mirror (UK) named David Edwards thinks it's "hollow" and keeping this from 100.,,

a little more research lets me see he gave 50 Shades of Grey a positive review...holy shit.

Thu May 14, 2015 7:43 pm