Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:07 am

Goodbye, everyone 
Critic

Post Goodbye, everyone
I joined this forum in 2009. My wife got a teaching job straight out of college but I didn't, so I had to work as a substitute for a year. There's a lot of downtime as a sub -- you don't need to plan during your planning period -- and so I became an active participant around here. It was a glorious time. And wiseguys were all over the place. It was before Apalachin and before Crazy Joe decided to take on a boss and start a war. It was when I met the world. Ed the Metal Head, Mark (Major Aphasia), Patrick, Pedro, Josh, Pete, Shade, Ken, Unke, Syd, Vexer, even Phil/Evenflow and Ragnarok, who never liked me much. But there was a great sense of community and you could always get an argument going. Absolutely no question this place helped kindle my movie love.

And I'm not going to say that we don't have some wonderful people here now. But the fact remains that this place isn't very vibrant any more. I think part of the fault there lies with the other James, for whom film criticism stopped being a priority years ago. And so a lot of people have left. There are rarely more than two threads going at any given time, and there are probably fewer than 10 active members.

So while this has been a wonderful and important part of my film life, I'm packing up my bags and leaving. Feel free to strip me of my moderator powers -- God knows Patrick felt I did a crappy job of modding anyway. I wish you all the very best of luck. I can be found on Facebook as James Kunz, Sporcle as Dark Phalanx and The Dissolve (which I highly recommend btw for a vibrant film community) as Ruthlessly Absurd. This is James Kunz, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 1.16.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 1.16.42 PM.png [ 397.21 KiB | Viewed 824 times ]

Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:17 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: Goodbye, everyone
It's been good, man. You kept things going around here for a long time. For what it's worth, I thought you were a good moderator. I'll bug you on facebook about baseball whenever the Cardinals beat the Giants, or when I stumble upon a movie that I want to know your opinion on. Even though facebook's best days seem to be behind it, it remains a good way to keep in touch with the people you like. I departed a different forum a long time ago and that's how I keep in contact with the people from those days.

The Pedros keep me going, but my interest in staying here has significantly waned since the early days. Heck, I've been a shadow of my former self for a few years now. No one's to blame for that but myself, even if there are factors contributing to that blame.

Didn't James B. imply that the forum might go through a bit of a change? From one of his topics in the ReelThoughts area: "The site redesign is going to open up a much broader section devoted to the books with a full comments section. In fact, the piece of the forums related to my writings will be closed and each review/reelthought/etc. will have its own comment section at the bottom. (The forums will continue to exist but they will be pruned back a little and somewhat repurposed. More on that in a few weeks as the launch date nears.)"

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:28 pm
Critic

Pedro wrote:
From one of his topics in the ReelThoughts area: "The site redesign is going to open up a much broader section devoted to the books with a full comments section. In fact, the piece of the forums related to my writings will be closed and each review/reelthought/etc. will have its own comment section at the bottom. (The forums will continue to exist but they will be pruned back a little and somewhat repurposed. More on that in a few weeks as the launch date nears.)"

Oh man I didn't see that at all. Good time to leave, I guess?

Pedro wrote:
It's been good, man. You kept things going around here for a long time. For what it's worth, I thought you were a good moderator.

Thanks, man. Appreciate it!

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:42 pm
Director

Enjoy your "retirement," Kunzie. I was rarely around in the early years of the forum, but I wish I had been more often. You've helped make it the only one worth my time and energy. I'll hold down the fort as long as this place still exists. 8-)

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:02 pm
Assistant Director

I'm probably one of the newest around, but I can say I admire how active you always were. We disagreed several times, but I'd like to think it was always within the realm of respect and desire of good discussion. I've always respected your knowledge and stick-to-your-guns attitude.

Safe travels. May it be for the best.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Kunzie is leaving ? WTF!

No fully understand why you are leaving for good but I wish you the best anyway. I mean if you got busier just resign as moderator but still can be around

I will check The Dissolve to see what is the fuzz about it but at the same time (even I am busy myself too) I will try to step up a bit my posting here. Sometime is not about quantity but quality ;)

Hope that after a while away you will miss us but in the mean time have fun and get things done 8-)

I certainly will miss you !

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Hey Kunzie,

What's the link of the Dissolve's Forum?

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:07 pm
Critic

Shade2 wrote:

Now you're going to make me cry! And edit my list that you absolutely should have been on for awesome people

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:20 pm
Critic

unwindfilms wrote:
Hey Kunzie,

What's the link of the Dissolve's Forum?

It's not a forum. The discussions are just on everything they publish. Reviews, articles, etc.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:20 pm
Auteur

It's been real man, as someone who's been around since the beginning i've seen this forum go through changes and i'll admit i'm not so sure I like the direction it's going with the new overhaul. But regardless i've always enjoyed debating films with you and i'll miss that.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:50 pm
Cinematographer

Goodbye James,

I don't hang out in, and won't venture out to those other places on the web, so I am hopeful that you'll look back once or twice to see this. I'll miss reading your thoughts. Hope all goes well for you and your family moving forward and that the important things in your lives bring great joy to you.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:03 am
Cinematographer

Good luck sir. Your's is one of the voices that helped open up new corridors of movie exploration. Will miss you especially on the "guess this movie" thread. :)

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:57 am
Second Unit Director

Tschüß, JamesKunz, it's been a pleasure. I completely understand that work and life commitments get in the way of posting in this forum, but I hope that you might eventually return, even with a much reduced activity (provided the forum will continue to exist at all). I particularly enjoyed the challenges you made ("nuttage"), but your overall contribution will be sorely missed by everyone.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:44 am
Second Unit Director

I'll always love you for your love of They Shoot Horses, Don't They? and The Man Who Would Be King, and for pretty much single handedly introducing me to Au Revoir, Les Enfants. I'll check out The Dissolve more (since I'm looking for a replacement for Slant Magazine since they ditched most all of their good writers) and look for your comments. Godspeed you glorious, sexy son of a bitch; and here's a cheers to the glory days of this place, those sure were fuckin great.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:51 pm
Second Unit Director

I'm going to miss your input on this board. I can certainly relate to the life-getting-busy stuff. It happens. Enjoy the busy, but make time to be less busy.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:40 pm
Director

Shame to see you go, Kunz. I always liked ya.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:55 pm
Gaffer

JamesKunz wrote:
And I'm not going to say that we don't have some wonderful people here now. But the fact remains that this place isn't very vibrant any more. I think part of the fault there lies with the other James, for whom film criticism stopped being a priority years ago.

I'm assuming James won't be responding in this topic. Can someone tell me what he meant by this? Does he mean JB's volume of reviews has gone down, or the quality of his writing has gone down? He seems to still be a full time critic.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:21 pm
Director

prahsk87 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
And I'm not going to say that we don't have some wonderful people here now. But the fact remains that this place isn't very vibrant any more. I think part of the fault there lies with the other James, for whom film criticism stopped being a priority years ago.

I'm assuming James won't be responding in this topic. Can someone tell me what he meant by this? Does he mean JB's volume of reviews has gone down, or the quality of his writing has gone down? He seems to still be a full time critic.

Volume of reviews. JB's fantasy novels have taken on a large role in his life, plus he has a young son. So that leeches time away from reviewing movies that aren't major players in the box office or the awards race.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:11 pm
Cinematographer

prahsk87 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

JB's volume of reviews has gone down. It's been a few years since JB became a father and he has been heavily involved in writing/editing his fantasy novels for a couple of years now. I don't think he has ever been a "full time critic" as I believe he still has his engineering job as well. His involvement in the forums and other facets of the reelviews site has gone down compared to 4 or 5 years ago. People's lives and priorities change. That's inevitable.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:11 pm