Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Twenty Unsung Great Movies of the Past Twenty Years 
Critic

Post Re: Twenty Unsung Great Movies of the Past Twenty Years
MunichMan wrote:
Ciacco wrote:
The Good Shepherd

Boy, I hated that movie. Nearly three hours of muddle. Now, I love a good cerebral, intelligent, politically-based film. Syriana was fantastic as was Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Three Days of the Condor, etc., but The Good Shephard was beyond boring, confused, overly pretentious, and completely non-engaging. I want those three hours back!

Ohohohoho I'm SO with you. That movie sucked

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:36 am
Director

MunichMan wrote:
Ciacco wrote:
The Good Shepherd

Boy, I hated that movie. Nearly three hours of muddle. Now, I love a good cerebral, intelligent, politically-based film. Syriana was fantastic as was Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Three Days of the Condor, etc., but The Good Shephard was beyond boring, confused, overly pretentious, and completely non-engaging. I want those three hours back!

I think the biggest problem with The Good Shepherd is that it has no dramatic peak. A film about spies, the Cold War, and the formation of the CIA should be interesting. But The Good Shepherd is dramatically flat all the way through. A shame, because it wastes a really terrific performance by Matt Damon.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:04 pm
Well I'm afraid I can't contribute with any movies. I just have to thank J.Kunz for the recommendation (in earlier threads) for some outstanding movies post 1992 which somehow went under my radar.

I'd like to say a few words about Gattaca: yep at its heart it is just another "Rocky": the underdog making it to the top against all odds (audiences love that kind of story if convincingly told - count me in). There are even a few not-exactly-genius cliches (or are they hommages?) in there like the older police investigator speaking in a tough guy New York accent (this "New Yorker in L.A."-stunt always reminds me of Bugs Bunny and Lieutenant Columbo) and the futuristic cars looking suspiciously like 50s/60s cars with only very few modifications. But above all there is one huge message which I really like: it's NOT about genetics. Anyone who thinks like that has it wrong. I read about epigenetics (meaning that outside stimulae can trigger talent - whatever that means - or faculties which would otherwise remain hidden) and I bet my butt that this is just the tip of the iceberg. I think we still don't know squat about genetics, and the discussion of what is genetic and what is the product of environment and social interaction will go on and on....

There are so many things we don't know anything about (like what's beneath the gas-cloud surface of Saturn moon Titan - as addressed in the movie).

Great movie. Watched it many times.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:21 pm
The Daytrippers.
The Taste of Others.
Living in Oblivion.
Lars and the Real Girl.
Barneys Version.
The Skin I Live In.
Chopper.
The Interview.
Blue Valentine.
Happiness.
The Crying Game.
Donnie Brasco.
Garden State.
Shallow Grave.
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.
A History of Violence.
The Kids are Alright.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:07 am
Producer

MunichMan wrote:
Ciacco wrote:
The Good Shepherd

I really hated Syriana, but at least it's not Body of Lies.

Millions, Sita Sings the Blues, Bridge to Terebithia, The Runaways, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Goodbye Solo, Chop Shop, and everything directed by Thomas McCarthy. I'm tempted to include In America and Whale Rider, but it's hard to say a film is unsung when it's nominated for major Oscars.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:33 am
Assistant Director

oafolay wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
The Square? Are you serious? That movie was so unbelievably bad! It's so badly acted, scripted and directed that by the end of the movie I was laughing. Had they added the Griswolds, it would have been MUCH better.

Animal Kingdom was a movie that really went nowhere. Characters talked and talked, but they didn't say much and didn't do much either.

My additions: Atonement, Black Book, The War Zone (how can anyone leave THIS off?), Once Were Warriors, Fear, My Best Friend's Wedding, The Net, True Lies, Tommy Boy, Speed, Twister, Ladybugs, Heavyweights, The First Grader (my best film of 2011), The Rock, Spirited Away, The Peacemaker, Brotherhood of the Wolf (my favorite movie), Copycat, Girlfight, Match Point

I considered Match Point on my short list, and I love your Once Were Warriors addition. However, the fact that you're going to disparage The Square while trumpeting FEAR (of all fucking things), Ladybugs, and The Net makes me feel that you can't really be taken seriously.

Yeah, no kidding. And seriously, The Rock, Twister and fucking Heavyweights over Animal Kingdom? Are you fucking shitting me!!!!???? To be fair, I do agree with several of the films listed here especially Copycat (which, IMHO, deserves a spot alongside Se7en and Silence of the Lambs as one of the best serial killer flicks of the 90's), Spirited Away, True Lies, Black Book, Once Were Warriors and The War Zone. Speed was also excellent but I would hardly call that film unsung. Now I can understand how some people might not be into Animal Kingdom - after all, it does move at its own pace and requires a certain amount of patience and attention from the audience - but I wouldn't say that it goes nowhere nor would I ever think of placing a piece of juvenilia like Heavyweights over it! :roll: :roll:

In my defense, I love all of those movies. But this is a list of twenty unsung great movies, not the best of all time. Are any of the movies I listed among the best films ever made? Of course not. But they are movies that don't get as much attention as they deserve. That's why I included them. Heavyweights is really just dumb fun, and doesn't pretend to be Citizen Kane. And lets not forget that juvenile can be good, depending on the viewers mood.

And before you keep attacking me, you guys have ignored Vex, who loves Transformers and Abduction. Love ya Vex, and not trying to make fun of your, but I'm just illustrating the point that we all have our own tastes.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Thanks man, and the reason why no one bats an eye over my "tastes" is probably because i've been on this forum since it frst began, so most people are used to my "unique" tastes in film by now.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:12 am
Producer

My picks for Unsung great movies from 1992 - 2012:

Of Mice and Men
Heart & Souls
Falling Down
The American President
Courage Under Fire
Contact
Amistad
What Dreams May Come
The Truman Show
The Horse Whisperer
Arlington Road
The Cider House Rules
Bringing Out the Dead
Wonder Boys
Nurse Betty
Road to Perdition
Antwone Fisher
Moonlight Mile
Insomnia
The Last Samurai
The Girl Next Door
Cinderella Man
Munich
Lord of War
V for Vendetta
World Trade Center
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
In the Valley of Elah
Snow Angels
Speed Racer
Max Payne (yes, you read that right! :p)
My Sister's Keeper
It's Complicated
Nine
Country Strong
Never Let Me Go
Fair Game
War Horse

Yes, I know. That's a lot of more than 20. It's 38. And yet, I could go on and on and continue to list even more unsung great movies from the past 20 years.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:08 am
Critic

[quote="ilovemovies"]My picks for Unsung great movies from 1992 - 2012:

Max Payne (yes, you read that right! :p)

/quote]

I'm actually a big defender of that movie. Though I don't think it's quite great

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:51 am
Max Payne was the movie that solidified my opinion that cinema is in a state of slow but irrevocable decline.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:47 am
Critic

Ken wrote:
Max Payne was the movie that solidified my opinion that cinema is in a state of slow but irrevocable decline.

No love for Norse mythology and Mark Wahlberg, Ken?

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:43 am
I thought it was a decent if unremarkable film, if there's any film that indicates the decline of cinema, it's frekaing Twilight.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:04 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
I thought it was a decent if unremarkable film, if there's any film that indicates the decline of cinema, it's frekaing Twilight.

Pfffft. I haven't seen the sequels, but the original Twilight was an entirely unremarkable film. 2.5 stars. Not a terrible abomination in any stretch of the imagination

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:34 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Pfffft. I haven't seen the sequels, but the original Twilight was an entirely unremarkable film. 2.5 stars. Not a terrible abomination in any stretch of the imagination

I mostly hated it for the horrible message it sends to teenage girls(I.E. it's OK to throw your whole life away for a guy you barely even know) that and the acting was terrible, which I know was intentional on Pattinson's part, and Bella is such a terribly written character that no actress could possibly make her look good, but Lautner and the others have no such excuses for they're terrible acting, plus the dialogue is some of the most rancid crap i've ever heard, it has the least convincing romantic pairing in any film i've ever seen(not to mention the creepiest) Twilight was originally supposed to be more action-oriented, basically Blade in high-school, I wish it had turned out more like that, cause then it might have actually been a halfway decent film instead of the putrid crapfest we got.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:00 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I mostly hated it for the horrible message it sends to teenage girls(I.E. it's OK to throw your whole life away for a guy you barely even know) that and the acting was terrible, which I know was intentional on Pattinson's part, and Bella is such a terribly written character that no actress could possibly make her look good, but Lautner and the others have no such excuses for they're terrible acting, plus the dialogue is some of the most rancid crap i've ever heard, it has the least convincing romantic pairing in any film i've ever seen(not to mention the creepiest) Twilight was originally supposed to be more action-oriented, basically Blade in high-school, I wish it had turned out more like that, cause then it might have actually been a halfway decent film instead of the putrid crapfest we got.

Agreed. It sends the message to girls that you're only cool if you're hot and have a boyfriend who is totally devoted to you. I watched the movie Trust a few weeks ago and I couldn't help thinking that the main character, Annie, is exactly the kind of person who would be a Twilight buff and that may, in a small way, have made it easier for "Charlie" to mainpulate her.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Sums up my view of the first GI Joe. Mediocre as hell. But not awful. If it had been awful I'd have remembered it a lot better. The mediocrity is what has resulted in me erasing most of my memory of it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:20 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Oh I agree with you about the message. Stephanie Meyer's take on gender relations is this horrible, 1950s-esque model that makes me angry every time I see one of my middle schoolers reading it. But the fact that I disagree with a film's sexual politics is hardly the same thing as thinking it's epitomizing the decline of cinema

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:27 pm
Darrrn, I just remembered Little Man Tate and it was released one year too early (1991). Definitely an unsung flick with great characterization. But that's off topic by a "hair".

Speaking of Jodie Foster: for all the obvious errors and plot contrivances, I think Panic Room (2002), with a very young Kristen Stewart, doesn't deserve the harsh criticism it very often gets. It's (IMHO) a very good cat and mouse, or better chess-, game. Just the way I like it. Forget the plotholes, it's about two groups trying to outsmart each other - I love that kind of movie as I stated before.

Another one must be The Game (1997). Again: if you analyze it: nothing makes sense. Yet this is pure high octane nightmare fuel (from tv tropes). Way, way underrated/unsung.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:52 pm
Critic

Threeperf35 wrote:

Another one must be The Game (1997). Again: if you analyze it: nothing makes sense. Yet this is pure high octane nightmare fuel (from tv tropes). Way, way underrated/unsung.

I'm okay with this. Fight Club is so oversung that they average out

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:31 pm
How about Consenting Adults? (1992, I barely made it) Yes it has some gaping plotholes where you couold drive a fleet of Komatsu dump trucks through, especially later in the movie, but it is a nice cat and mouse game. I think it's a great unsung movie of the past 20 years.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:31 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next