Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:17 am

Director Spotlight: Alfred Hitchcock 
Director

Post Re: Hitchcock
Rebecca (1940) : 3 Stars
A psychological drama-thriller black and white movie based on Philip MacDonald and Michael Hogan's adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's 1938 novel of the same name. Joan Fontaine plays the unnamed narrator that meets the wealthy but brooding widower Maxim de Winter (Shakespearean actor Laurence Olivier) in Monte Carlo but once living in his England's castle then she is tormented by the memory of her husband's dead first wife: Rebecca . This 2 hours 10 minutes Gothic film has some intrigue and suspense which starts as soon the couple hit the husband's castle but I found the twists and the ending surprising but not blow minding. The pace of the film was a bit slow for my taste too. Only Best picture Oscar for Hitch
IMDB : 8.3 (From 64,614 voters)
Tomatometer: 100% (from 44 reviews)
Box Office: $6,000,000 ( $99,838,714.29 adjusted by inflation) (Only USA)
Production Cost: $1,288,000 ($21,099,248.29 adjusted by inflation)

Attachments:
Rebecca.jpg
Rebecca.jpg [ 21.75 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Director

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) : 3 Stars
Another suspense thriller with Hitch in top form and great performances from regular collaborator James Stewart and Doris Day who sings a song that won the Oscar. I liked the picturesque locales and handling of the international intrigue. The film starts and finish very well but with a runtime of two hours , drags a bit in the middle.
IMDB : 7.5 (from 35,191 votes)
Tomatometer : 91% (from 32 reviews)
Box Office : $11,333,333 ($98,553,056.80 adjusted by inflation) (Only in USA)
Production Cost: $1.2 Million ($10.44 million adjusted by inflation)

Attachments:
the man who knew too much.jpg
the man who knew too much.jpg [ 23.84 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: Director Spotlight: Alfred Hitchcock
Hitch's Filmography

Attachments:
Alfred Hitchcock.jpg
Alfred Hitchcock.jpg [ 61.62 KiB | Viewed 400 times ]

Last edited by unwindfilms on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:07 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Most of Hitch's most oft-praised movies are extremely flawed, too long by at least 30 minutes, and hardly masterpieces.

For instance, Rear Window. It's amazing that a movie set in one single room about a guy who looks at his neighbors stretches to nearly 2 hours. And the plot is endlessly repetitive. Instead of watching one movie, it's like watching the same movie on repeat three or four times in a row. The exact same scenes with the exact same ideas happen over and over and over again. Not to mention the grating sexism/misogyny, the absurdity of gray-haired, drawling Stewart being a heartthrob for Grace Kelly, the fact that every apartment has perfect sitcom lighting, and the general condescension with which Hitchcock presents the supposed social norms of the 50s. I'd say his most overrated, uncinematic movie.

Vertigo is better, but still really flawed, absurd, and overlong, with a performance from Stewart that's laughably over the top. North by Northwest is good fun, and Cary Grant is a much better Hitchcock lead than Stewart, but still has a plot that goes in too many circles. Psycho is among his leanest and most interesting, while The Birds is fascinating for its many strange, subtle nuances.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:22 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Most of Hitch's most oft-praised movies are extremely flawed, too long by at least 30 minutes, and hardly masterpieces.

For instance, Rear Window. It's amazing that a movie set in one single room about a guy who looks at his neighbors stretches to nearly 2 hours. And the plot is endlessly repetitive. Instead of watching one movie, it's like watching the same movie on repeat three or four times in a row. The exact same scenes with the exact same ideas happen over and over and over again. Not to mention the grating sexism/misogyny, the absurdity of gray-haired, drawling Stewart being a heartthrob for Grace Kelly, the fact that every apartment has perfect sitcom lighting, and the general condescension with which Hitchcock presents the supposed social norms of the 50s. I'd say his most overrated, uncinematic movie.

Vertigo is better, but still really flawed, absurd, and overlong, with a performance from Stewart that's laughably over the top. North by Northwest is good fun, and Cary Grant is a much better Hitchcock lead than Stewart, but still has a plot that goes in too many circles. Psycho is among his leanest and most interesting, while The Birds is fascinating for its many strange, subtle nuances.

I certainly have the films that you have mentioned among the top of Hitch. I did not find any 4 stars (like the seven samurai for me) but Vertigo very close with 3 3/4 and the rear window with 3 1/2 stars

I personally go to the cinema as escapism and I dream , as a middle age man myself, to have a girlfriend like Grace Kelly in "Rear Window" that nurse me , spoil me and share my hobbie when I am sick lol. Now seriously I was impressed with the use of the lightning in the the mix of edgy cinematography, and very unique set design to help Hitch's suspense not just Grace Kelly ;)

I also have a high regard for your opinion as you are proven to be very informed as far Cinema goes so I did some searching on the net about Rear Window and when I finished I even felt tempted of giving it higher score myself. In rotten tomattoes is 100 % fresh with an average rating of 8.9/10 and even found a book of 121 pages dedicated to the study of Rear Window for different authors from different angles

Anyway, I guess with this one we will have to agree to disagree :mrgreen:

Attachments:
Rear Window.JPG
Rear Window.JPG [ 22.18 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:01 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
I have actually seen 31 Hitchcock films, more than any other director. I make sure to see at least one every year. So let's see my tiers.

I agree with your rankings, except I'd put Notorious, Strangers, and Rear Window in the top tier, Northwest and Vertigo in 2nd tier. I would put The Birds in 3rd tier, very affecting for what it is, just not a masterpiece. I think his most overrated movie tends to be Shadow of a Doubt, an aggressively average movie with a dry plot and subpar pacing for Hitchcock.

MGamesCook wrote:

Not trying to be confrontational, but I just found it interesting how in two years you seemed to do a 180 on Rear Window and The Birds. Was this due to rewatches or just further reflection?

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:53 pm
Director

This reminds me to continue through his filmography again sometimes soon.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:44 am
Producer

Rewatches, further reflection, seeing more movies for a larger context on film in general. I used to be into Billy Wilder more too, which I'm not as much now. With Rear Window, there's just a lot that puts me off now.

I still think Notorious is a masterpiece, but now I prefer North by Northwest to Rear Window and Vertigo. Psycho and The Birds also belong in the top tier, the latter being deceptively great as it's much more ambitious than usual for Hitch, and has more hidden depth than some of his others.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:37 pm
Director

To Catch A Thief (1955) : 3 Stars
A romantic thriller with little mystery and suspense but plenty of beautiful settings , a cool Gary Grant and a stunning Grace Kelly. A copy cat robber is placing the French Riviera police eyes on retired Jewel thief (Gary Grant) and is only up to him to clear his name.
IMDB: 7.5 (from 40,233 votes)
RT : 95% (from 42 reviews)

Attachments:
To Catch a thief.JPG
To Catch a thief.JPG [ 44.01 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:59 am
Profile WWW
Director

Topaz (1969) : 2 3/4 Stars
Frederick Stafford plays a seductive and cunning French spy in a slow burn espionage thriller based on Leon Uris's novel. Too long of a film (2 hours and 7 minutes) with very little action not my cup of tea for a spy movie. Hitch also experimented with the use of colours, predominantly red, yellow and white to reveal and influence the plot which did not work in his own opinion.
IMDB : 6.3
RT: 72% (18 reviews)

According IMDB trivia:

Quote:
This film was Alfred Hitchcock's biggest failure. It cost approximately $4,000,000 to make and received only $1,000,000 at the box office.

Attachments:
Topaz.JPG
Topaz.JPG [ 25.12 KiB | Viewed 70 times ]

Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:12 am
Profile WWW