Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:36 am

Most Difficult to Watch movies 
Assistant Director

Post Most Difficult to Watch movies
What are the most painful movies to sit through. Not in terms of quality, but in terms of them being sad or disturbing (or both)?

-Saving Private Ryan
-Schindler's List
-Lilya-4-Ever
-Once Were Warriors
-The War Zone
-Boys Don't Cry

What are yours?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: Most Difficult to Watch movies
Agreed on half of those, i'd also throw in I Spit on Your Grave, the Human Centipede films are nothing compared to that movie.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:11 am
Producer

I've always avoided watching the most infamous films like Salo, I Spit on Your Grave, Cannibal Holocaust, Human Centipede, Serbian Film, etc. Vex, you mean the original Spit on Grave right?

Grey Zone is the worst for me. Bad Lieutenant which I just saw recently is pretty rough. Some movies that are a bit uncomfortable but I nevertheless enjoy them are Happiness (or pretty much any Solondz) and the original Maniac. Then there's the movies that are difficult simply by way of dullness, like REC or the traumatic experience of sitting through Gods and Generals.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:23 am
Second Unit Director

Human Centipede is way too stupid to be hard to watch.

Eraserhead has always been the roughest for me...

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:24 pm
Second Unit Director

Hopping back into the fray to say this:

To me, there needs to be some connection to worth watching for hard to watch to matter. I'm sure Human Centipede is hard to watch, but I'm even more convinced that there's no reason or need to. Not bashing those that watch or like it, but it doesn't have enough merit as art or statement for me to care.

I'd agree with Grey Zone and The War Zone, which are just relentlessly oppressive.

I'd also argue -- strongly -- that Schindler's List is not hard to watch. It's sad, and dark, but it's also riveting, suspenseful, and plot-driven. For many stretches it's entertaining (not in a happy way, of course). Compare that with, say, 12 Years a Slave, which (whatever it's artistic faults) is not entertainment in any way. A tiny bit sappy at the end, maybe, but compare that to the Hollywood syrup at the end of Schindler's List (both probably each film's worst scenes, incidentally). Don't get me wrong: I think List is a straight-up great movie, and it makes you feel stuff, and you want to turn away, and it darkens your perspective of humanity if you let it sink in. But I don't think it's hard to watch -- I think one has to be pretty sensitive to sit through 20 minutes and not want to stick it out.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:09 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I've never found Saving Private Ryan difficult to watch at all, personally, but good call on Boys Don't Cry. Ditto for Happiness "(or pretty much any Solondz)".

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:44 pm
Producer

Quote:
Compare that with, say, 12 Years a Slave, which (whatever it's artistic faults) is not entertainment in any way.

We're agreed on that point at least, but I also didn't find 12 Years to be nearly as tough or as brutal as Schindler's List. And please don't ask me why because that's the final word I have to say about that.

Schindler's List works as entertainment if you're following all of Spielberg's formal choices, but many people don't, so that doesn't apply to everyone. Schindler is simply so well made that it's hard not to finish it once you've started. But it's not a film I return to very often and it represents true horror in a way that Saving Private Ryan, Amistad, and Munich do not. It stand way outside Spielberg's other filmography, which is the way he wanted it.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:44 pm
Director

unwindfilms mentioned one today: Lorenzo's Oil. Good movie but very painful to watch.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:54 pm
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
unwindfilms mentioned one today: Lorenzo's Oil. Good movie but very painful to watch.

I actually found it very inspiring !

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Everyone here probably already knows mine, but for me it's Martyrs. Nasty, sadistic piece of cinema that one.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Wetlands is a pretty interestingly tough watch...

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:02 pm
Second Unit Director

nitrium wrote:
Everyone here probably already knows mine, but for me it's Martyrs. Nasty, sadistic piece of cinema that one.

is that movie in English?

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:03 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
I've always avoided watching the most infamous films like Salo, I Spit on Your Grave, Cannibal Holocaust, Human Centipede, Serbian Film, etc. Vex, you mean the original Spit on Grave right?

Grey Zone is the worst for me. Bad Lieutenant which I just saw recently is pretty rough. Some movies that are a bit uncomfortable but I nevertheless enjoy them are Happiness (or pretty much any Solondz) and the original Maniac. Then there's the movies that are difficult simply by way of dullness, like REC or the traumatic experience of sitting through Gods and Generals.

Yeah I mean the original, the remake is still disturbing, but the rape scene doesn't go on for nearly as long as in the original, so it wasn't nearly as hard to sit through by comparison.

Cannibal Holocaust wasn't that disturbing, Cannibal Ferox on the other hand was rather disturbing.

By far one of the most disturbing films i've seen is Scrapbook: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304676/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Martyrs honestly wasn't that hard for me to get through, it got far too ridiculous in the second half to really be all that disturbing.

Baise Moi also lives up to it's reputation.

Schindler's List i've only seen once and I will never see it again, I see no compelling reason to do so.

Boys Don't Cry was sad, but not really hard to sit through.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:16 pm
Second Unit Director

Salo
Hunger (2008 - Steve McQueen)

Some films are okay but are hard to watch just for a particular scene: Do those count? because I kept coming up with examples of difficult to watch scenes:
Requiem for a Dream - The ending.
Reservoir Dogs - The ear cutting scene.
Milk - When he gets assassinated.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Cannibal Holocaust wasn't that disturbing, Cannibal Ferox on the other hand was rather disturbing.

This looks like a comedy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPMrH0VYPU

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:25 am
Cinematographer

I had a difficult time getting through "Wake in Fright".

I also found "Schindler's List" and "Requiem for a Dream" very difficult. I usually shy away from depressing movies, but occasionally get drawn in by the critical acclaim.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:37 am
Second Unit Director

thered47 wrote:
SaloSome films are okay but are hard to watch just for a particular scene: Do those count? because I kept coming up with examples of difficult to watch scenes:
Requiem for a Dream - The ending.
Reservoir Dogs - The ear cutting scene.
Milk - When he gets assassinated.

Lightweight! :) Go watch Wetlands on Netflix!

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:54 am
Director

I think The Human Centipede was an alright movie. It hit all the necessary buttons that is required of a B-movie. If you dig that sort of thing, then you'll like it. It's not too tough to watch; the concept is actually more nauseating than the execution.

Then there is A Serbian Film. You may think you want to watch it. But you don't. You really, really don't.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:24 am
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I think The Human Centipede was an alright movie. It hit all the necessary buttons that is required of a B-movie. If you dig that sort of thing, then you'll like it. It's not too tough to watch; the concept is actually more nauseating than the execution.

Then there is A Serbian Film. You may think you want to watch it. But you don't. You really, really don't.

Indeed, I saw it on Youtube out of curiosity, and it was pretty horrifying(though not quite as horrifying as some independently made horror films like the August Underground trilogy).

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:20 pm
Assistant Director

Requiem for a Dream is a tough watch indeed, not necessarily for being graphically disturbing, but for how depressing it is. My wife actually bought the DVD about a year ago because we both "like" it, but none of us has felt the urge to get through with it yet.

I also agree with Boys Don't Cry, and I'll add City of God for the same reasons (being depressing).

In terms of being graphically disturbing, my pick would be Irreversible for the opening scene alone. I don't think I can bring myself to watch that scene again *shudders*

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:01 pm
Profile WWW