Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:54 pm

2nd teaser trailer for "Star Wars: Episode VII" 
Second Unit Director

Post 2nd teaser trailer for "Star Wars: Episode VII"
I think this is a better teaser trailer than the first one. Looks promising. Though I think we should keep our expectations in check. Remember how we all felt when we saw the Phantom Menace trailer and later saw the film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:40 pm
Auteur

Post Re: 2nd teaser trailer for "Star Wars: Episode VII"
ck100 wrote:
I think this is a better teaser trailer than the first one. Looks promising. Though I think we should keep our expectations in check. Remember how we all felt when we saw the Phantom Menace trailer and later saw the film?

Not all people felt that way about Phantom Menace, I for one was not disappointed one bit by that film.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:31 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:

Not all people felt that way about Phantom Menace, I for one was not disappointed one bit by that film.

Any who,

"Chewy, We're Home" gave me the biggest geek boner I've had since Gal Gadot got cast as wonder woman.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:04 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:

I would have been surprised if you didn't like the film. :P

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:42 pm
Second Unit Director

If I had one complaint about this trailer, it reinforces the notion that Episode VII may be all about pandering and fan service. I hope that's not the case, but this article below does make a point:

http://news.yahoo.com/em-star-wars-forc ... NlYwNzcg--

Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:12 pm
Director

ck100 wrote:
If I had one complaint about this trailer, it reinforces the notion that Episode VII may be all about pandering and fan service. I hope that's not the case, but this article below does make a point:

That may be, but this is a unique case in movie history: a brand so well-regarded and so spoiled by the prequels (although not in my eyes; I like all three of them) that many fans crave some reassurance that they've finally come home. I'm okay with one movie dedicated to repairing bridges, but from Episode 8 onward, it's time to swing for the fences (which I'm sure Rian Johnson will do).

Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:52 pm
Producer

Doesn't look like a good movie to me, but I'd still pay to see it. I'm down for a night of collective nostalgia I suppose if it's Star Wars. Damn Han Solo is old and wasted. Looks like Yoda.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:14 pm
Director

Does Han EVER wear anything other than a white shirt with a vest or jacket? :?

I'm going to leap to Vex's defense here regarding the prequels as I also enjoyed them (I even prefer "Sith" over "Jedi" :ugeek: ). But I still remain skeptical with this one -- still playing up the nostalgia, and still looks as though the Galactic Civil War is still going on, despite the Empire being overthrown in "Jedi." :?

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Producer

Sith is easily the second best after Empire. I wish they could write Ian McDirmid back in.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:31 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Sith is easily the second best after Empire. I wish they could write Ian McDirmid back in.

And watch him ham it up again with a lightsaber?

http://s9.postimg.org/oc38na627/Palpatine_1.png

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:48 pm
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:

Sith is by far the best of the prequels, but no way it's better than Star Wars (or A New Hope :roll: ) But it's still a mess of a film that could've and should've been so much better.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

ck100 wrote:

I tend to agree, but I still thought that teaser was pretty good.

I also partially agree with Cru :lol:

CruJones wrote:
"Chewy, We're Home" gave me the biggest geek boner I've had since Gal Gadot got cast as wonder woman.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

I'm hyped! Not gonna lie, seeing Han and Chewbacca made me geek out too.

The filmmakers have to walk a really tight rope. Stick too closely to the previous movies and they'll be accused of pandering to nostalgia / fanservice, but do things too differently and they'll be blasted for "ruining Star Wars." Meh, I say wait until seeing the actual movie or seeing a more substantial trailer (which I'm sure will give away most of the plot) before jumping to such conclusions. For this trailer I'm willing to give them more leeway regarding fanservice. Evoking familiarity with iconic characters and images is exactly what is needed to build anticipation many months away.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:39 pm
Second Unit Director

prahsk87 wrote:
I'm hyped! Not gonna lie, seeing Han and Chewbacca made me geek out too.

The filmmakers have to walk a really tight rope. Stick too closely to the previous movies and they'll be accused of pandering to nostalgia / fanservice, but do things too differently and they'll be blasted for "ruining Star Wars." Meh, I say wait until seeing the actual movie or seeing a more substantial trailer (which I'm sure will give away most of the plot) before jumping to such conclusions. For this trailer I'm willing to give them more leeway regarding fanservice. Evoking familiarity with iconic characters and images is exactly what is needed to build anticipation many months away.

Even though I have concerns about pandering/fan service, I'm willing to give the film the benefit of the doubt. It's not fair to judge the film just from two teaser trailers.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:43 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

And honestly, I'd be pretty disappointed if there weren't any lightsaber fights, blasters, X-wing / TIE fighter battles, or Han, Luke, and Leia. If that's so called "pandering" then please, I wanna be pandered to.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:46 pm
Producer

ck100 wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

And watch him ham it up again with a lightsaber?

http://s9.postimg.org/oc38na627/Palpatine_1.png

Hell yes.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 pm
Director

Thief12 wrote:
Star Wars (or A New Hope :roll: )

By this logic, the full title of the movie would be "Star Wars: Episode IV - Star Wars" :roll: . I don't know why so many film buffs have problems with amended movie titles -- especially if it's for the sake of keeping consistency for what eventually became a movie series. It's on par with religious fundamentalism, as far as I'm concerned. :P

MGamesCook wrote:
As much as I liked Palpatine/Sidous, I definitely don't want to see him become yet another Sauron or Voldemort... particuarly since I've heard that's kind of what happened with him in the EU. :|

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:23 pm
Second Unit Director

I'm super confident/excited in the 1-2 punch of Abrams followed by Rian Johnson. Both are bonafide Star Wars nerds that I think are great directors to bring what the fans expect along with their own stuff.

I'm also excited to see stand alone movies within the Star Wars Universe that focus on specific characters and timelines (which actually gives them the opportunity to bring back Yoda, Vader etc...but they must be extremely careful if they do this...what am I talking about if, everyone knows they will). How AWESOME would a movie focusing on Han and Chewie be before A New Hope with Chris Pratt as Han?

Finally, does anyone think that they will ever change the score or entry scroll, or mess with anything iconic like that? For as long as I live, I hope not. I mean, for instance, John Williams will pass eventually, but his score shouldn't miss a beat.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:15 am
Assistant Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
Star Wars (or A New Hope :roll: )

By this logic, the full title of the movie would be "Star Wars: Episode IV - Star Wars" :roll: . I don't know why so many film buffs have problems with amended movie titles -- especially if it's for the sake of keeping consistency for what eventually became a movie series. It's on par with religious fundamentalism, as far as I'm concerned. :P

Don't look further in my post than just a tongue-in-cheek, innocent ribbing ;) I have no issues with the amended name, but it's just that I always call it Star Wars.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

6, 1, 2 & half of 3 were god awful.

4 was good and 5 was great.

I can't wait for 7 to be a pile of Luca$Crap.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:37 am