This accomplished, exceptional piece of cinema delivers summer-scale spectacle.
The movie has its pleasures but not enough of them to make it worth the heavy time investment.
On a purely visual level, "Valerian" is a top contender, but as a complete motion picture experience, it falls considerably short.
- Jul 10th 2017 | Podcast - July 6, 2017 Fictional Frontiers
- Jun 20th 2017 | The Patreon Plot
- Jun 16th 2017 | Podcast - June 15 Fictional Frontiers
- Jun 11th 2017 | Support Your Not-so-Local Film Critic
- May 16th 2017 | Podcast Time!
- Feb 26th 2017 | Just Another Sunday Night
- Dec 29th 2016 | The 2016 Top 10
An ensemble of solid performances with some affecting moments is ultimately undone by a storyline that treads too-common ground for American indie films.
"The Midwife" has two things (and only two things) going for it: Catherine Frot and Catherine Deneuve.
This is a vital, original, and emotionally potent chapter to one of the longest-running movie series out there.
The film works primarily because of its big heart and ability to engage our emotions while not turning off our brains.
Although this "Homecoming" serves its purpose, it’s just a forgettable waystation on the MCU map, where all roads lead to "Infinity War".
An example of how even the most promising animated franchises can hit a wall if allowed to continue too long.