Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 am

This guy really didn't like Pixels. 
Director

Post This guy really didn't like Pixels.
And it's one of the funniest movie reviews I've heard. He really, really hates Pixels. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFD2293oGvA

Just to note: I haven't seen Pixels, but I'm inclined to take this guy's opinion seriously. It is an Adam Sandler movie, after all.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:00 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: This guy really didn't like Pixels.
Hmmm....so....wait for video? Geez...what did he really think?

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:36 pm
Director

That could be the best video movie review ever.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:50 pm
Auteur

I thought it was a terrible review and not funny in the least, I think this film looks pretty cool.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:16 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I thought it was a terrible review and not funny in the least, I think this film looks pretty cool.

I'm not sure it was supposed to be "funny" per se. It was pure, unfiltered, nerd rage... which I guess could be seen as funny in of itself - i.e. MovieBob's passion for all things video gaming comes across as (intentionally?) hilariously ott if you don't share his views

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:53 pm
Producer

This isn't review. It's a 10 minute rant. And it was fine for most of it's running length. But then he became a bit a douche in the last 3 minutes. I don't like personal insults either at the filmmakers. It comes across as childish and immature. But where he really lost me was when he bad mouthed the movie Nine Months. That movie is HILARIOUS! :D

Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:07 am
Producer

I guess Mark Neveldine gets to relax this weekend, as his Vatican Tapes is receiving little to no hate compared to Pixels. Won't get a positive RT rating (who gives a shit), but it's getting some solid word of mouth :mrgreen:

Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:34 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I like Bob Chipman, but this rant was obnoxious.

Not as obnoxious as this Adam Sandler movie, but still.

But yeah; Pixels. Another piece of shit film barfed out from one of Adam Sandlers orifices. Good for him. Great. Swell. Hooray.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:24 am
Auteur

AJR wrote:
I like Bob Chipman, but this rant was obnoxious.

Not as obnoxious as this Adam Sandler movie, but still.

But yeah; Pixels. Another piece of shit film barfed out from one of Adam Sandlers orifices. Good for him. Great. Swell. Hooray.

I didn't find it obnoxious at all, I had a blast with it.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:54 am
Second Unit Director

Can there be a category of people who thinks that the premise of Pixels looks fun and interesting, and would like to see it but are put off by the involvment of Sandler? Because I would like to apply for it.

Serious question though: How do people evaluate the quality of a premise, because every time I see one that looks original, clever or interesting to me, it seems like 99% of everyone else immediately dismisses it as stupid.
-Jeremy

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

thered47 wrote:
Can there be a category of people who thinks that the premise of Pixels looks fun and interesting, and would like to see it but are put off by the involvment of Sandler? Because I would like to apply for it.

Serious question though: How do people evaluate the quality of a premise, because every time I see one that looks original, clever or interesting to me, it seems like 99% of everyone else immediately dismisses it as stupid.
-Jeremy

There were some people on a video game forum i'm on that said they liked the premise of the film, but they were opting to wait until DVD because of Sandler, personally I think that's a bit over the top. I'll admit Sandler's made a few duds, but Pixels ain't one of em.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:16 pm
Second Unit Director

You guise do know what Adam Sandler does right? He is one of the richest people in Hollywood now. When he wants to make a movie, he gets all of his friends, they go shoot on location for 3 months while having a vacation, he casts a hot actress as his female lead, the studio pics up the tab, and his movies make money.

He has admitted this before. Sometimes, very very rarely, he will try to act like in Punch Drunk Love or Funny People....and I actually think he tried to do something big with this.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:51 pm
Producer

CruJones is right, no amount of hate has been able to truly wipe out Sandler's career. His stamina is pretty impressive compared to Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, and others. The audience who supported him when I was 10 years old has never completely abandoned him, which I think is a testament to his appeal. I don't have any interest really in Pixels, but I thought Cobbler and Blended were both pretty good for what they are.

thered47 wrote:

-Jeremy

I'm constantly frustrated by this myself, but the truth is that high concept premises are genuinely stupid or unworkable 9/10 times. Most of them simply can't sustain a feature running length.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:13 pm
Producer

Pixels might be bad or I might like it, but even if I end up not liking it, one thing I strongly disagree with James' review is when he said the movie had a bad premise. I think it's actually an incredibly inspired premise with lots of promise. The movie may or may not live up to it, but the promise is there.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:44 pm
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Pixels might be bad or I might like it, but even if I end up not liking it, one thing I strongly disagree with James' review is when he said the movie had a bad premise. I think it's actually an incredibly inspired premise with lots of promise. The movie may or may not live up to it, but the promise is there.

Agreed. The premise seems very original, and assuming it's presented properly, I could potentially buy into it. To wit Pixels looks horrendous in so far as the delivery of the promising premise is concerned... so I'll probably wait for the DVD here.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:41 am
Producer

nitrium wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Agreed. The premise seems very original, and assuming it's presented properly, I could potentially buy into it. To wit Pixels looks horrendous in so far as the delivery of the promising premise is concerned... so I'll probably wait for the DVD here.

I think it's just too narrow. With satirical/farcical comedy you have to cast a wider net. The Crank movies make plenty of satiric references to 80s video games, but they find a broader range of things to do than just a Pac Man literally chomping down the street.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:50 am