Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri May 29, 2015 4:24 am

Directors whose latest film you'll always see... 
Director

Post Directors whose latest film you'll always see...
... without giving it a second thought. I think that speaks for itself. For me, off the top of my head:

-Martin Scorsese
-Joel & Ethan Coen
-David Lynch
-Roman Polanski
-Steven Spielberg
-Peter Jackson
-David Cronenberg
-Wes Anderson
-Paul Thomas Anderson
-Noah Baumbach
-Darren Aronofsky
-Tim Burton
-Todd Solondz
-Terrence Malick
-Terry Gilliam
-Spike Jonze
-Alexander Payne
-Guy Maddin
-Mike Leigh
-David O. Russell
-Quentin Tarantino
-Christopher Nolan
-Peter Weir (if he ever makes another film)

Last edited by H.I. McDonough on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:11 am
Auteur

Post Re: Directors whose latest film you'll always see...
Michael Bay
Uwe Boll
Len Wiseman
Paul W.S. Anderson
Roland Emmerich
Olivier Megaton
Pierre Morel
Paul Feig
David Gordon Green
Dennis Dugan
Frank Coraci
Judd Apatow
Adam McKay
Todd Phillips
Steven Brill
Robert Rodriguez
The Hughes Brothers
John Singleton
The Wachowski's
Neil Marshall
Wes Craven
John Carpenter
Eli Roth
Simon West
John Moore
Renny Harlin
Rob Cohen
Justin Lin
Paul Greengrass
J.J. Abrams

And several others I can't think of at the moment.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:10 pm
Producer

Steven Spielberg
Martin Scorsese
Christopher Nolan
Robert Zemeckis
Edward Zwick
James Cameron
Cameron Crowe
David Fincher
Quentin Tarantino
JJ Abrams
Sam Mendes
Paul Greengrass
Spike Lee
Oliver Stone
Terrence Malick
Peter Jackson
Clint Eastwood
Frank Darabont
Steven Soderbergh
David O. Russell
John Woo
Ridley Scott

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:23 am
Director

Quentin Tarantino, James Cameron, Hayao Miyazaki, Ramin Bahrani, Stephen Chow, Ang Lee, Brad Bird, and Christopher Nolan, although the last is working hard to get off the list. Scorsese, Spielberg, Eastwood, Fincher, Herzog, Peter Jackson and PT Anderson are close, but will occasionally do a film I'm not interested in.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:23 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Quentin Tarantino
Coen Brothers
Wes Anderson
Paul Thomas Anderson
Darren Aronofsky
David Lynch
Martin Scorsese
Alexander Payne
Hayao Miyazaki
Isao Takahata
Zhang Yimou
Tsai Ming-liang
Hou Hsiao-Hsien
Park Chan-wook
Kim Ki-duk
Bong Joon-ho
Hong Sang-soo
Kore-eda Hirokazu
Joss Whedon
Edgar Wright
Rian Johnson
Spike Jonze
Paul Greengrass
Michael Haneke
Pedro Almodóvar
Ang Lee
Stephen Chow
Christopher Nolan (although, with Interstellar, he's working hard to get off this list)
James Cameron (I'm not a huge fan, but, when he releases a movie, I always see it)
Terrence Malick (I'm cheating–I'll admit I haven't seen To the Wonder yet)
Steven Spielberg (I'm cheating–I didn't see Tintin and probably never will)
Nicolas Winding Refn (probably–he needs to get a few more movies under his belt before I can say with certainty)

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:12 pm
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Scorsese, Spielberg, Eastwood, Fincher, Herzog, Peter Jackson and PT Anderson are close, but will occasionally do a film I'm not interested in.

Granted, some of the filmmakers on my list have made one or more films I probably wouldn't have seen had they not directed it (Spielberg's "Amistad" and "Lincoln" come to mind, as do Scorsese's "The Age of Innocence," "Kundun," "Gangs of New York," and "The Aviator;" Aronofsky's "The Wrestler" and "Noah;" etc.). I'll also admit I haven't seen Spielberg's "Always" in its entirety (and, considering it's widely considered one of his weakest - and schmaltziest - films, I probably never will :| ), nor have I seen Peter Jackson's first 3 cheapo features (come to think of it, I don't think I've seen "The Frighteners" in its entirety, either)... or Cronenberg's "Shivers" and "Rabid"... or Polanski's "What?," "Pirates," and "The Ninth Gate" (though the latter two are largely considered his worst films, so, again, I may not ever bother).

A few directors who are on the bubble:
Rian Johnson - He's still only made 3 films, so it's probably too soon to include him. All his films so far have been solid, though I wasn't nearly as impressed with "Looper" as many others were.

Thomas McCarthy - He's also still only made 3 films, and they all had the same basic premise (a stranger comes into the lives of the main character(s), and has a profound effect on everyone involved). We'll see what he does with "The Cobbler."

Jay & Mark Duplass - Another brotherly filmmaking team whose sensibilities seem to lie somewhere between the Coens and the Farrellys. :ugeek: Again, all their films have been solid so far, though I wouldn't absolutely rave about any of them (though their debut "The Puffy Chair" comes close). Also, Mark now appears to be focusing more on acting than filmmaking, so we'll see what happens with their filmmaking future.

Atom Egoyan - He seems to have become strictly a for-hire thriller man. Save for 2008's "Adoration," he hasn't made a 'personal' film in 13 years. We'll see how "The Captive" fares before I drop him off the list completely.

Michael (& Mark) Polish - See the Duplasses, basically.

Lynne Ramsay - I've really liked all 3 of her films so far, but she hasn't gotten much traction in her career over the last decade, full of false starts and dead ends. It's amazing she got out "We Need to Talk About Kevin."

Brad Anderson - He never reached the heights I thought he would after "The Machinist" and "Transsiberian," and I skipped "The Call" entirely. I liked "Vanishing on 7th Street" more than most, and "Stonehearst Asylum" was a decent effort... but I'm still looking for more 'wow' factor from his work.

Richard Linklater - I'm willing to officially put him on the list if he never does any "School of Rock"/"Bad News Bears" (the latter I never saw) for-hire jobs anymore. :P

David Gordon Green - He WAS on the list until his 'Judd Apatow' trilogy (I saw "Pineapple Express," but I just couldn't bring myself to see either "Your Highness" or "The Sitter"). I'm willing to consider those an aberration if he continues to get back to his roots (as he's attempted to do with "Prince Avalanche" and "Joe").

Jason Reitman - He was also on my list until recently. "Labor Day" was a surprisingly safe and obvious effort compared to his first 4 films. And while "Men, Women and Children" was a bit of an improvement (and perhaps even better than "Young Adult"), it's still hard to tell whether he's already losing his filmmaking mojo.

Michael Winterbottom - He's probably the second most prolific filmmaker out there right now (after Woody Allen, of course). His films are nearly always interesting, but they can sometimes be unremarkable. His best collaborations with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon continue to be his best work for the last decade.

Last edited by H.I. McDonough on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:38 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Atom Egoyan - He seems to have become strictly a for-hire thriller man. Save for 2008's "Adoration," he hasn't made a 'personal' film in 13 years. We'll see how "The Captive" fares before I drop him off the list completely.

Yeah, back in the '90s, he would've been on my list. I haven't seen any of his recent work though. I find it kind of sad the direction his career has gone.

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Richard Linklater - I'm willing to officially put him on the list if he never does any "School of Rock"/"Bad News Bears" (the latter I never saw) for-hire jobs anymore. :P

I probably should've put him on my list. I actually don't mind School of Rock, but I never saw his Bad News Bears and probably never will. But I'll see whatever he puts out next for sure.

H.I. McDonough wrote:
David Gordon Green - He WAS on the list until his 'Judd Apatow' trilogy (I saw "Pineapple Express," but I just couldn't bring myself to see either "Your Highness" or "The Sitter"). I'm willing to consider those an aberration if he continues to get back to his roots (as he's attempted to do with "Prince Avalanche" and "Joe").

Man, I loved, loved, loved his early work right from George Washington through Snow Angels, especially the underappreciated Undertow, but he lost me with Pineapple Express. I saw it as well, and that was it. Another director whose career direction makes me sad.

Béla Tarr is another one whose work is always of interest, although I probably won't see everything he makes.

Lukas Moodysson, anyone?

Wong Kar-wai and John Woo are both directors who would've been on my list at some point in the past, but they have fallen off, sadly.

P.S. I like Always, personally, but then I sometimes like schmaltzy movies.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:05 am