Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:49 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2014 
Cinematographer

Post The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2014
I have two categories: stuff I liked and hey guys don't forget about this.

Stuff 1: Best Use of Music - Only Loves Left Alive
~If you've seen the movie, I think this speaks for itself.

Stuff 2: Best Actor - Ellar Coltrane in Boyhood
~Man is this guy getting overlooked. His performance is occasionally amateurish, but he has bright, shining moments in a film that's full of them. He's easy to like, even when he becomes a pubescent nightmare ranting about facebook and the potential horrors of college. He reminds me of me maybe more than any character in cinema history, which would usually disqualify him but in this case works to his advantage. I realize he's not a showy choice, but he's such a big part of why Boyhood succeeds for me.

Stuff 3: Best Actress - Jennifer Kent in The Babadook
~Hooray, Australia! Jennifer Kent does a great job of quietly imploding here. She has maybe the worst child on the planet and she handles him the only way she knows how. She has quite the transformation, but through it all, she remains a good mother.

Stuff 4: Best Art Direction, Best Supporting Actor - Robert Pattinson in The Rover
~It feels weird to put his name for anything, but I thought he was effective as a guy who's a little too stupid for the world around him. He moments where he acts, sure, but that does not obfuscate Pattinson's creation of a good character. Of all the projects he chose post-Twilight, this one's the best. I liked Guy Pearce, too, but realistically I don't think he'd make my top ten, let alone top five. As far as the art direction goes, I think that speaks for itself.

Stuff 5: Best Supporting Actor - Randall Park in The Interview
~I didn't think The Interview was very funny, but I thought what Park did with President Kim was good enough to warrant a spot on my ballot. I'm not sure this category matters much, anyway, because J.K. Simmons is going to win. I don't know what's going to win in any of the other categories, but he'll win here. I just hope we can round out the rest of the nominees with actors not named Robert Duvall.

Stuff 6: Best Supporting Actor - Michael Parks in Tusk
~See justification for Randall Park.

Hey 1: Best Actor - Tom Hardy in Locke
~As always, the Best Actor category is insanely crowded. Earlier in the year, though, it seemed like no one would give a better performance than Tom Hardy. I'm not sure how everyone else feels now, but I remain insanely impressed by what Hardy accomplished here, goofy accent or not. He's a man on a mission and he spends a whole film trying to justify this mission publicly and privately. This ongoing dichotomy is fascinating and I hope you-all agree with me.

Hey 2: Technical nominations - Snowpiercer
~For all the hullabaloo about the film being scissored by the Weinsteins, much of the technical prowess remains on display. Perhaps the art direction will get the most attention, but its makeup, costume design, and sound design are also worth lauding.

Hey 3: The Raid 2 - Best Foreign Language Film and Best Editing
~You guys liked this one, right?

Hey 4: Best Actor - David Oyelowo in Selma
~Those who read my posts know that I tend to hate biopics, but I thought Oyelowo infused his portrayal of Dr. King with enough

Hey 5: Enemy
~I dug this movie, but I don't know if I'll end up nominating it for anything. I know a lot of people on the board saw it, though, and maybe they'll find room for Jake Gyllenhall or the screenplay or director.

Hey 6: Calvary
~I thought this film was really good, but for the life of me I can't guarantee this one appearing on my ballot, either.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:58 pm
Director

Post Re: The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2014
Pedro wrote:
Stuff 3: Best Actress - Jennifer Kent in The Babadook
~Hooray, Australia! Jennifer Kent does a great job of quietly imploding here. She has maybe the worst child on the planet and she handles him the only way she knows how. She has quite the transformation, but through it all, she remains a good mother.

Wholeheartedly behind this. Her performance gets ignored because awards and genre films rarely intersect, especially horror. My personal #1 is Marion Cotillard, but an (unexpectedly) Oscar-nominated performance needs no furthur push, I think.

Other ones I like-to-love that might fly under the radar:

Best Actor: Jack O'Connell, Starred Up. 2014 is his year, where three different, outstanding performances (the other two are '71 and Unbroken) prove his range, but his explosive turn in Starred Up is definitely the best.

Best Supporting Actor:
Ben Mendelsohn, Starred Up. The perfect complement -- less frantic, but almost equally as volatile -- to O'Connell role.
Michael Fassbender, Frank. He pulls off a performance in which 90% of his screentime is spent under a giant hollow head.
Ben Kingsley, The Boxtrolls. Not since Alan Rickman as Severus Snape has an actor relished so deliciously in each syllable.

Best Supporting Actress: Elizabeth Moss, Listen Up Phillip. Watching her character's growth against a distant and sometimes emotionally abusive boyfriend is gratifying, perfectly encapsulated in a crucial close-up moment after she stood up against him.

Best Use of Music: (I hope I understand this and Best Sound categories right? I remember asking about this a year or two back) Under the Skin. Memorably nerve-shredding.

Best Original Screenplay: Coherence. Very well thought-out sci-fi concept and well executed. Primer as paranoid thriller.

That's it for now, I think.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:53 pm
Second Unit Director

Ooh, so much to talk about this year.
INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCES:
Best Actor
I echo Pedro's call for Ellar Coltrane in Boyhood (A lot of people have made fun of his acting during the start of the film, but note how his performance becomes more complex, understanding, and nuanced as he ages) and David Oyelowo in Selma.
- Chadwick Boseman, Get on Up. Forgotten, but not deservedly so.
(If it's eligible (I'm not sure how its U.S. release worked), consider the power of a German actor named Hanno Koffler in a little known film called Free Fall. It's streaming on Netflix. Pedro, can you get us an answer for this movie's eligibility?)

Best Actress
- Marion Cotillard, The Immigrant. Maybe not the best movie, but proof that Cotillard is one of our best working actresses.
- Shailene Woodley, The Fault in Our Stars. Don't laugh. As much as you might have disliked the film, naysayers can't deny the raw emotional power she brings to the table.

Best Supp. Actor
As odd as this sounds, I agree with getting Randall Park some love.
- Christophe Paou, Stranger by the Lake. A great foreign film streaming on Netflix.
- Harry G. Sanders, Selma. A veteran who delivers a brief but blistering showing.

Best Supp. Actress
- Laura Dern, The Fault in Our Stars. Stop laughing at me, watch the movie, and just see how good she and Woodley are, OK?
- Agata Kulesza, Ida. A solid foreign language film frontrunner, now on Netflix. Filled with great acting.

MOVIES TO ACKNOWLEDGE IN GENERAL
A Coffee in Berlin
A gleefully exciting, well acted and written German movie that's currently on Netflix in the U.S. Brings up memories of early Woody Allen, in some odd way. FYC in all applicable categories, esp. Best Foreign Language Film.

We are the Best!
A gleefully exciting, well acted and written Swedish movie that's currently on Netflix in the U.S. Infectiously joyful. FYC in all applicable categories, esp. Best Foreign Language Film.

The Wind Rises
Hayao Miyzaki's final film is a truly moving triumph. FYC in all applicable categories, esp. Best Animated Film.

Last edited by sunshineisles2 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Director

sunshineisles2 wrote:
We are the Best!
A gleefully exciting, well acted and written Swedish movie that's currently on Netflix in the U.S. Infectiously joyful. FYC in all applicable categories, esp. Best Foreign Language Film.

Oooo forgot to mention this one, in which it will be a shoo-in for my Best Ensemble Cast nomination.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:55 pm
Cinematographer

sunshineisles2 wrote:
(If it's eligible (I'm not sure how its U.S. release worked), consider the power of a German actor named Hanno Koffler in a little known film called Free Fall. It's streaming on Netflix. Pedro, can you get us an answer for this movie's eligibility?)

Its facebook page says it became available for streaming on July 2, 2014, which makes it eligible in my book.

A few performances I forgot:

~Carrie Coon for Gone Girl (supporting actress) - This is a relatively thankless role that Coon does a lot with. She's strong, level-headed, fiery, honest, and [most importantly] memorable.
~Dorothy Atkinson for Mr. Turner (supporting actress) - Mike Leigh writes good roles for women and this one is heartbreaking. Elevated in part by makeup but mostly by acting subtleties, this is a skillful, understated look at occupying a position while being in love with your boss. The film is sometimes a chore to watch, but never when she's on screen.if
~Zach Galifianakis for Birdman (supporting actor) - I don't know why people aren't talking about him. He's just as good as everyone else. If I'm going to pick one comedian doing good dramatic work, I'll take this motherfucker over Steve Carell anyday.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:31 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
Its facebook page says it became available for streaming on July 2, 2014, which makes it eligible in my book.

In that case...

HANNO KOFFLER IN FREE FALL ALL THE WAY GUYS. ADD IT TO YOUR QUEUES.

Ahem... :oops:

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Director

sunshineisles2 wrote:
Pedro wrote:

In that case...

Is that sort of a German Brokeback Mountain or Blue is the Warmest Color? Does it differentiate itself from those two in how it deals with same-sex relationships? It sounds pretty good, but I already have over 60 films on my imdb Watchlist, so I'm trying to become somewhat more picky than my usual movie-whore self.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:44 pm
Second Unit Director

nitrium wrote:
sunshineisles2 wrote:
Pedro wrote:

In that case...

Is that sort of a German Brokeback Mountain or Blue is the Warmest Color? Does it differentiate itself from those two in how it deals with same-sex relationships? It sounds pretty good, but I already have over 60 films on my imdb Watchlist, so I'm trying to become somewhat more picky than my usual movie-whore self.

I believe it's being advertised as a German answer to Brokeback Mountain, but thematically, the two films are quite different -- without giving too much away, Free Fall is more about the domestic life, uncertainty, and professional and personal implications faced by Koffler's character, whereas Brokeback has a different focus on the relationship itself.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Some great performances that shouldn't be overlooked IMO:

Stacy Martin and Christian Slater in Nymphomaniac Volume 1

Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort and Laura Dern in The Fault in Our Stars. Heck, Willem Dafoe is great in it too.

Jeremy Renner in Kill the Messenger

Robert Downey Jr. and Robert Duvall in The Judge

Rose Byrne in Neighbors

Jessica Brown Findlay in Winter's Tale

Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbell in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Also in Birdman, Emma Stone has gotten just about all the nominations in the supporting actress category and she's great but I liked Naomi Watts even more.

My favorite movies of the year other than Birdman which everybody loves include Interstellar, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Wild, Chef and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier and X-Men: Days of Future Past are two fantastic blockbuster movies as well.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:18 am
Cinematographer

I have received one ballot so far and I'd like to bring up two issues, one of which I already brought up in the other thread.

1. Who is the lead in Fury? Is Brad the main guy and Logan supporting him? Or is it the other way around? I'd argue it's either the other way around or we have a duel-lead situation.

2. What kind of screenplay is Whiplash? It's based on the director's short film Whiplash, a short that was only made to secure financing for the longer feature. What do you guys think? I don't really have a horse in the race for either argument because I see both sides. I suppose I'm leaning toward it being adapted, though, even though some might be flustered by that interpretation.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:57 pm
Director

Pedro wrote:
I have received one ballot so far and I'd like to bring up two issues, one of which I already brought up in the other thread.

1. Who is the lead in Fury? Is Brad the main guy and Logan supporting him? Or is it the other way around? I'd argue it's either the other way around or we have a duel-lead situation.

2. What kind of screenplay is Whiplash? It's based on the director's short film Whiplash, a short that was only made to secure financing for the longer feature. What do you guys think? I don't really have a horse in the race for either argument because I see both sides. I suppose I'm leaning toward it being adapted, though, even though some might be flustered by that interpretation.

imo Fury has two leads. Just like Lethal Weapon or Pulp Fiction.
Have not yet seen Whiplash.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:06 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
~Carrie Coon for Gone Girl (supporting actress) - This is a relatively thankless role that Coon does a lot with. She's strong, level-headed, fiery, honest, and [most importantly] memorable.

Great suggestion! Some more:

Lead Actor - Ralph Fiennes in Grand Budapest Hotel. He completely makes the movie.

Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Director, Cinematography, Effects, Best Ensemble - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Easily my favorite movie of the year. I don't think I would nominate Serkis or Kebbell, even though they were both great, because of how much the effects crew clearly contributes to those performances. But Ensemble feels right, and in my mind would include the effects crew as part of the ensemble. And it wouldn't just be for those two performances, but also for Jason Clarke and Gary Oldman, who were both excellent. Gary Oldman in that movie was one of my big surprises of the year. He was nowhere near the sneering villain hinted in the trailer, and even less that guy than he probably was in the script.

Use of Music - Muppets Most Wanted. I loved pretty much all the songs in this one. Especially the opening number (sets the tone perfectly), the interrogation song (pig puns!), and the song that the evil frog sings to Miss Piggy (basically a Flight of the Conchords song with puppets).

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:59 pm
Director

I was impressed by Carrie Coon as well.

I recommend the odd independent comedy "The One I Love," in which a couple going through marital strife are sent by their counselor to a retreat to rekindle their love and find themselves in the Twilight Zone. Elisabeth Moss is the one I particularly recommend. The film is mostly a three-actor show, and mostly it's Moss and Mark Duplass carrying the film. (The third character is the counselor, played by Ted Danson.)

I don't hear A Walk Among the Tombstones or The Drop being mentioned for Pedros, although I thought they both were good films that should adorn a number of categories.

I wonder if I'm the only one who nominated Mr. Peabody and Sherman for one of the animated films. Not at the top, of course, but it was clever and well-executed. I prefer it to The Lego Movie.

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:32 am
Cinematographer

The Drop is a solid flick. I just don't know where to put in.

A friendly reminder for voters: when you're submitting new potentials for the Hall of Fame I'm looking for three new people, i.e. people who are not in contention yet! I realize why that might be confusing if you're copying and pasting the ballot from the other topic. Those names are there mostly for reference, though. Going forward, I don't want to see any names from the existing ballot! We'll vote on that later. :)

I've been quietly campaigning for Fritz Lang the past few years by virtue of putting him in the annual topics. I'd like to openly campaign for Krzysztof Kieslowski. He had a period of dominance making meaningful films before dying at a relatively early age. Our site leader loves the guy. Kieslowski, in a lot ways, was my key to cinema that extended beyond blockbusters and so-called prestige pictures. Vote for him! Also, Robin Williams. Vote for Robin Williams. I won't, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't!

Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:24 pm
Second Unit Director

Just watched the documentary Virunga (Oscar-nominated). Not perfect, but gripping and important. Definitely worth watching (it's a Netflix original, so it'll be streaming indefinitely) if you want to bulk up the Best Documentary section of your ballot.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:52 am
Profile WWW

Syd Henderson wrote:
I recommend the odd independent comedy "The One I Love," in which a couple going through marital strife are sent by their counselor to a retreat to rekindle their love and find themselves in the Twilight Zone. Elisabeth Moss is the one I particularly recommend. The film is mostly a three-actor show, and mostly it's Moss and Mark Duplass carrying the film. (The third character is the counselor, played by Ted Danson.)

I thought the movie was just pretty good, but I like your Elisabeth Moss suggestion. She was excellent.

One more suggestion:

Lead Actor - Chris Evans, Snowpiercer. He's riveting in this movie, and carries it through some of its rougher bits, including the ending. His big speech toward the end was particularly great.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Cinematographer

Hey guys.

I've been getting a lot of votes the past few days, which makes me happy! Thank you guys for voting.

I seem to do this every year, but I am extending the voting deadline to March 2 at 10:00 AM PST. There's two reasons for that. I'm actually starting a new job next week and I'll be out of town for my training. The other reason is I don't know I thought it'd be nice to give you guys another week to see Leviathan or stuff on DVD. If you voted already and come across a reason to change your vote, you are more than welcome to do that.

My apologies to anyone who's inconvenienced by this!

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Pedro wrote:
Hey 6: Calvary
~I thought this film was really good, but for the life of me I can't guarantee this one appearing on my ballot, either.

Thank you for reminding me of this movie. I had to amend my top ten list to add it. The McDonagh bothers know how to make good movies.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:11 pm
Cinematographer

Pedro wrote:
Hey guys.

I've been getting a lot of votes the past few days, which makes me happy! Thank you guys for voting.

I seem to do this every year, but I am extending the voting deadline to March 2 at 10:00 AM PST. There's two reasons for that. I'm actually starting a new job next week and I'll be out of town for my training. The other reason is I don't know I thought it'd be nice to give you guys another week to see Leviathan or stuff on DVD. If you voted already and come across a reason to change your vote, you are more than welcome to do that.

My apologies to anyone who's inconvenienced by this!

Ah, that'll give some reelviewers the opportunity to watch 'The Babadook', which is awesome and must be voted for (Best Picture or Best Actress or both). If you don't, you'll hear strange rumbling noises in your cupboard. Ba-ba-dook, dook, dook!

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:08 am
Second Unit Director

I'm back! (You tired of me yet?)

A few weeks ago, I watched the German film Wetlands, and just saw that it's eligible for consideration. I'd love to nominate Carla Juri for her performance in Best Actress, but all five slots are filled and it would kill me to remove one. I've put it in Adapted Screenplay, but Foreign Language Film is also worth considering. It's currently streaming on Netflix in the U.S., but be forewarned -- while it can be silly and light at times, it's definitely not for the faint of heart (or stomach).

I'd also like to thank Syd for recommending The One I Love. I didn't care for much of it, but Elizabeth Moss was great, just as advertised.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next