Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 746, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752 ... 829  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Short Term 12 is an average movie centered around the support staff at a foster facility for wayward kids. If you're well-versed in the cliche of support group revelations, you can basically write the entirety of the movie and hit most of the highlights that get covered. Though the material is possibly more tastefully (and realistically) handled than in something like It's Kind of a Funny Story, this isn't any better. If anything, with the obligatory acoustic music cues and factory installed heaviness, Short Term 12 is a step below: it's psychological finger painting for an older audience. The bookend scenes, both featuring a humorous story with a dramatic finish, wreck some of the credibility. The last story, featuring one of the movie's more tragic characters, is particularly hackneyed. This is another one that got some positive notices here and there. This, to me, illustrates what a lousy movie year 2013 must have been. Short Term 12 is just another Indie Darling little blip, a wimpy One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest for audiences that need their emotional cues as unsubtle and shouted as possible. The indie ship, how she keeps on sinkin'.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:05 pm
Producer

I haven't seen Short Term 12 yet, but I personally loved It's Kind of a Funny Story.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 pm
Director

Rocky

i had not seen Rocky in over 10 years, so when I saw it on Netflix Instant, I decided to fire it up. It is interesting to compare this film with its sequels; by the time of Rocky IV, the films had mostly become parodies of themselves, but the original is a ragged but heartfelt film. The characters are almost all rough edges: Rocky is good-hearted, but he's a tough SOB, and element of his character that was mostly removed in the sequels. Mickey is a rather unlikable, racist grouch, compared to the lovable grouch he becomes. Paulie is a flat-out asshole, compared to the jolly clown he later becomes. These differences give Rocky a much different feel, and they are a big part of what makes it much superior to any of the sequels. I would say this was a worthy Best Picture winner; though it may not be as great as Network or Taxi Driver, Rocky is not all-out schmaltz. It's good, character-driven drama.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Rocky

i had not seen Rocky in over 10 years, so when I saw it on Netflix Instant, I decided to fire it up. It is interesting to compare this film with its sequels; by the time of Rocky IV, the films had mostly become parodies of themselves, but the original is a ragged but heartfelt film. The characters are almost all rough edges: Rocky is good-hearted, but he's a tough SOB, and element of his character that was mostly removed in the sequels. Mickey is a rather unlikable, racist grouch, compared to the lovable grouch he becomes. Paulie is a flat-out asshole, compared to the jolly clown he later becomes. These differences give Rocky a much different feel, and they are a big part of what makes it much superior to any of the sequels. I would say this was a worthy Best Picture winner; though it may not be as great as Network or Taxi Driver, Rocky is not all-out schmaltz. It's good, character-driven drama.

I know, right??? It's a REAL movie, not a franchise starter.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:10 pm
Producer

Agree with both the above. The first Rocky is a kitchen sink drama foremost.

It's impossible to comprehend Rocky IV when viewing this.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:43 am
Director

La NotteL'

I liked the first half of Antonioni's movie, but once they get to the party and find Monica Vitti it becomes a disappointment. It's not particularly well-crafted, at least not compared to L'Avventura, and the final scene is downright amateurish. L'Avventura is a great movie, but I think perhaps part of its greatness is that it can really only work once.

Something Wild

This Jonathan Demme movie really bursts with energy. A solid premise for a lighter kind of film, but Demme takes it to darker, interesting places as well. The actors are great and Demme's style is really effective in its simplicity. Terrific use of music too. It strikes me that this type of movie isn't even made anymore. The market for lower budget material, aside from horror, is pretty dead. Every movie now not only has to be expensive, it has to LOOK expensive. It's a shame because a lot of potentially great films are lost with that mentality.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:48 am
Assistant Director

I had been waiting for a while to watch Shoah, the 566-minute documentary that attempts to cover the impact of the Holocaust without the aid of archival footage. When it became available at the library, I got on the list and finally got to pick it up on Monday. Last night I watched the first 40 minutes, likely the last 40 minutes I'll be watching. The movie appears to be a series of interviews (which is fine) and footage of death camp locations now grown over with new foliage. None of this is a problem. What got me to pack it up and return it today was the frustrating presentation: person X speaks for a bit in Polish, Hebrew, etc. and there are no subtitles. French translator then speaks while person X waits patiently, subtitles of what he said some 30 or 40 seconds before superimposed. It may be important, even essential, viewing but I'm going to be the dork who avoids what he fears will be boredom. Shallow, I know. It took 5 years to edit the movie. Maybe a sixth year would have lead to the French translator getting edited out and the interviewees getting subtitled when they actually speak. There may be value to the way the movie actually plays but I doubt I'll be finding out. I suppose I should feel silly about this.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:41 pm
Auteur

Mark III wrote:
I had been waiting for a while to watch Shoah, the 566-minute documentary that attempts to cover the impact of the Holocaust without the aid of archival footage. When it became available at the library, I got on the list and finally got to pick it up on Monday. Last night I watched the first 40 minutes, likely the last 40 minutes I'll be watching. The movie appears to be a series of interviews (which is fine) and footage of death camp locations now grown over with new foliage. None of this is a problem. What got me to pack it up and return it today was the frustrating presentation: person X speaks for a bit in Polish, Hebrew, etc. and there are no subtitles. French translator then speaks while person X waits patiently, subtitles of what he said some 30 or 40 seconds before superimposed. It may be important, even essential, viewing but I'm going to be the dork who avoids what he fears will be boredom. Shallow, I know. It took 5 years to edit the movie. Maybe a sixth year would have lead to the French translator getting edited out and the interviewees getting subtitled when they actually speak. There may be value to the way the movie actually plays but I doubt I'll be finding out. I suppose I should feel silly about this.
I don't think you should feel silly, even if there were subtitles during the conversations, watching something that long is still an extremely daunting task for anyone. I could never bring myself to watch something like that, both for being too long and too depressing.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:10 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Something Wild

This Jonathan Demme movie really bursts with energy. A solid premise for a lighter kind of film, but Demme takes it to darker, interesting places as well. The actors are great and Demme's style is really effective in its simplicity. Terrific use of music too. It strikes me that this type of movie isn't even made anymore. The market for lower budget material, aside from horror, is pretty dead. Every movie now not only has to be expensive, it has to LOOK expensive. It's a shame because a lot of potentially great films are lost with that mentality.

Such a good movie. I saw it a few years back in the same week I saw David Lynch's Wild at Heart and have been confusing their titles ever since. Demme's movie is head and shoulders better, and something that seems to have been sort of forgotten despite Criterion's release of it a year or two ago. Like you said, it really moves with energy, thanks in large part to the film's leads, Jeff Daniels and Melanie Griffith. Two really great performances, and a movie that Demme is able to make feel more profound than it really has any business feeling. It's about the best take on this type of movie I can think of and it goes places you wouldn't necessarily think of that still make a lot of sense afterwards.

Mark III wrote:

Wow, really? I had no clue that was how this movie was presented. It's something I've been debating on starting for a while now, and I think this pretty much makes my decision for me. I mean, wouldn't that basically double the film's running time? You have to listen to everything twice and the first time you don't even understand it! Why!?!? I'd love to hear some reasoning as to why this decision was made.

As for me, I saw Noah over the weekend and thought it was pretty good, warts and all. The CGI at times looks laughably cartoony, and I imagine in 20-30 years the movie will likely be unwatchable, but Aronoksy fills the film with so many ideas that it's hard not to enjoy. For starters, the first act, which covers Noah's inspiration for taking on this challenge in the first place, if full of some of the best visual filmmaking you're likely to come across. The way Aronofsky connects ideas visually here is really special. The other stroke of genius in the film is having the happenings onboard the Ark mirror the initial story of Cain, Abel, and Seth. It's a pretty clever way to show mythology playing itself out, and allows the movie to make some of the broad, sweeping comments on humanity it is heavily invested in.

The last act of the film leaves quite a bit to be desired, but there's a lot of really strong material here. It's a worthy, imperfect film.

I also saw Afflicted, a horror movie that's been getting some solid buzz across the interwebz. In a few words, it's Chronicle as a lower budgeted vampire movie. The movie follows two twentysomethings as they embark on a trek around the world in an effort to really seize life, or something. One of them (the Asian one), you see, has AVM and could literally die any second. He's got to go experience things before his brain explodes! So, they go, his buddy decides to document everything (so the filmmakers can feel like they've given a sufficiently clever reason for the found footage approach), and weird, crazy shit eventually goes down. It's all...ok. The most interesting thing the movie does is to take the idea that friends are willing to help friends and sacrifice a great deal for them to a very extreme place. There's also the sneaky little point of taking someone who may die at any second and giving them eternal life. At any rate, the movie at least doesn't sugarcoat vampires and eventually shows that being a vampire is pretty fucking awful. It's not the cool, romanticized nonsense we're usually shown, so I guess the movie gets points for that. Still, only slightly above average.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:23 pm
Second Unit Director

Mark III wrote:

I tried watching this too and gave up for pretty much the same reason. So basically the filmmakers want people to watch a dry, depressing documentary where they're unlikely to understand what is being said for a significant portion of the running time... sure, that's going to happen.

It's like someone realized that there is a large number of the movie going audience that avoids subtitles and failed to realize exactly why...
-Jeremy

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Tokyo Godfathers 1.5/4

A very warped Christmas movie. Unfortunately, the protagonists are boring and I lost interest fairly quickly.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:59 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Watched Pumping Iron, a box office champ from 1977 and the film world's first unadulterated exposure to Arnold Schwarzenegger. Schwarzenegger: no dubbing, no line deliveries, pure as the driven bodybuilder. The film documents the 1975 Mr. Universe and Mr. Olympia event and follows the training and psychological warfare between school teacher Mike Katz, a guy named Ken Waller, Lou Ferrigno and the already-legendary Schwarzenegger. Along the way we get a nice look at the relationship between Ferrigno and his father, Arnold's skyscraping egotism and various gymnasiums around California.

The movie, as a movie, isn't especially good: it looks cheap, orbits a variety of subjects without really closing in on any, and doesn't have much drama when it comes down to the competitions. All the same, I liked it: Arnold is charismatic and calculating, just the kind of son of a bitch that would become one of the biggest stars in the world. The relationship between Ferrigno and his dad is wonderful to watch as is Mike Katz's attempts to beat Waller in the Mr. Universe portion of the story. The movie feels loosely, sometimes barely, assembled but it has spirit. That's enough to get a recommendation this time.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:11 am
Director

300: Rise of an Empire (2014)

Eva Green single-handedly lifts the movie into being mildly fun, and gives some nuance in her portrayal so that the final confrontation is surprisingly a little character-based. Wish she is the whole focus of the movie like Leonidas in the original, instead of sharing time with the dull new guy. 6/10

The Freshman (1925)

I have read a critic (whose name eludes me at the moment) compares the three silent giants aptly: Chaplin a saint, Keaton a bit of a devil, while Lloyd is us. Harold Lloyd's everyman quality may not lend needed urgency to his best known Safety Last, with that film's many story tangents, but it proves hugely endearing and energetic in this one, where he has a specific environment to play around in. The climatic football match may be less impressive physically than Safety Last, but it's more emotionally involving and satisfying, with a most lovely final shot. Also striking how the college experience hasn't changed that much from almost a hundred years ago. 9/10

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Given that I think the Marvel films reflect the style and quality of the directors they have chosen pretty well, that makes this one (from the directors of You, Me and Dupree) kind of an anomaly. The film manages an impressive task of updating this out-of-time superhero to the present by meshing the usual pyrotechnic with a strong dose of paranoid thriller. Nice to see the status quo shaken up a little too. The development and interplay between characters (especially Steve and Natasha) are well done and have us invest into their action and storyline. However, weak villains seem to be a trend with Phase II films, as the titular one in this is too underused to register very strongly. The best of the film's mostly fantastic action scenes did revolve mostly around him, and the ending managed to lend his fight with Captain America some poignancy, nicely paving the way to the sequel. Overall, an improvement over the first one and the best Marvel stand-alone so far. 8.5/10

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:27 am
Assistant Director

peng wrote:
. Also striking how the college experience hasn't changed that much from almost a hundred years ago.

Just ask any woman, black or Jew and they'll tell you the same.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:38 pm
Assistant Director

Snowpiercer (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706620/
The year is 2031. After mankind's TOO successful effort to combat global warming by dispersing a chemical in the atmosphere, the world is plunged into a permanent ice age and evidently every species (but man) is now extinct. The only survivors are a few thousand people on a very,very long train that has been perpetually circling (mostly along coastlines) the entire planet for the past 18 years on a 438,000 km (not a typo!) track. If this all sounds batshit crazy, you are not wrong.
On the train there are the haves at the front end (with schools, swimming pools, dance clubs etc), and the have nots at the tail end (with literally nothing except "protein bars" provided by the haves (you find out what they'd made of)). The class divide is TOTAL - there is no middle ground here. After 18 years of oppression, the huddled hungry masses plan a revolution to bring them to the front of the train - so pretty much the same plot as Elysium. John Hurt plays Gilliam (perhaps a homage to Terry Gilliam, who would have been totally in his element in this film) the brains behind the operation while Chris Evans provides the leadership and muscle. The film reminded me of the dystopian nightmare of the Bioshock video games - in fact a lot of the "front of train" set design looks like it was inspired by Bioshock Infinite, and I almost expected to see Ken Levine's name somewhere in the credits.
Performances were fine - of course you can't really go far wrong with John Hurt, Tilda Swinton and Ed Harris. A minor niggle is the use of shaky-cam during a few of the action sequences and some also seemed somewhat poorly choreographed.
I definitely have a soft-spot for this type of conceptual sci-fi and seriously admire the audacity of the film-makers to take on such a ludicrous premise.
8.5/10. (apparently this isn't coming out till June 27th in the US for some reason).

Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:59 pm
Director

Mark III wrote:
peng wrote:
. Also striking how the college experience hasn't changed that much from almost a hundred years ago.

Add a foreigner who didn't think of America while making that sentence to the list.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:32 pm
Critic

Mark III wrote:
peng wrote:

Heh, nice.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:31 am
Director

Mark III wrote:
Watched Pumping Iron, a box office champ from 1977 and the film world's first unadulterated exposure to Arnold Schwarzenegger. Schwarzenegger: no dubbing, no line deliveries, pure as the driven bodybuilder. The film documents the 1975 Mr. Universe and Mr. Olympia event and follows the training and psychological warfare between school teacher Mike Katz, a guy named Ken Waller, Lou Ferrigno and the already-legendary Schwarzenegger. Along the way we get a nice look at the relationship between Ferrigno and his father, Arnold's skyscraping egotism and various gymnasiums around California.

The movie, as a movie, isn't especially good: it looks cheap, orbits a variety of subjects without really closing in on any, and doesn't have much drama when it comes down to the competitions. All the same, I liked it: Arnold is charismatic and calculating, just the kind of son of a bitch that would become one of the biggest stars in the world. The relationship between Ferrigno and his dad is wonderful to watch as is Mike Katz's attempts to beat Waller in the Mr. Universe portion of the story. The movie feels loosely, sometimes barely, assembled but it has spirit. That's enough to get a recommendation this time.

All this, and no mention of Ahhhnuld's "I'm coming" monologue? Shame.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:49 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
...by the time of Rocky IV, the films had mostly become parodies of themselves...

I'm only quibbling with "mostly" here... Seriously the Creed parts of Rocky IV are one of the better examples of character assassination (in a literal sense, too) I can think of in the past 30 years.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:15 am
Director

We had our Yuri's Night celebration last night at the Stafford Air & Space Museum. We call it Celebration of Spaceflight so as not to upset Commiephobes.

The featured attraction was a showing of Apollo 13, which I still like, although it's now third on my list of space movies after The Right Stuff and Gravity; maybe fourth if you consider 2001 a space movie. (As opposed to movies like Star Wars, which largely takes place in space but is not about space travel per se.)

Anyway, the director of the Stafford Museum, Max Ary, was former director of the Kansas Cosmosphere, which he left under unfortunate circumstances.*

The Cosmosphere has a facility called SpaceWorks which specializes in the restoration and replication of space artifacts. Two of the most notable of the restored articles are the Liberty Bell 7, Gus Grissom's capsule which was retrieved from the bottom of the ocean, and the capsule from Apollo 13. Supposedly when Jim Lovell was speaking at the Cosmosphere for the 30th anniversary reunion of the Apollo 13 flight team, they showed him the capsule and he broke down. He hadn't seen it since he was on the carrier after the flight. Gene Krantz had almost the same reaction.

Anyway, SpaceWorks is famous nationwide among those interested in space history, and does a lot of restoration and reproduction work, one of which is a full reproduced Apollo command module, which was right beside the screen where we watched the movie. During the movie, interesting facts were displayed on the side of the module.

How this connects with the movie is that all the space hardware shown in Apollo 13 was made or restored by SpaceWorks, which was under Max Ary at the time, and, since Ron Howard was insistent on making the movie as authentic as possible, is as close to accurate as you're likely to get, even to the point that the spacesuits are made of the same fire-retardant cloth as the NASA spacesuits. This cloth costs over $3000 a yard, and to most of us looks like nylon. They had to reproduce the locking mechanism for the hatch door. You see this for about three seconds in the movie but took weeks to reproduce.

One minor bit of artistic license is that Gene Krantz was actually one of several flight directors, though the most important one. Some of the decisions shown may have been made by whoever worked the night shift.

The most important omission was Tom Stafford himself, who is one of the most accomplished astronauts, and at the time was head of the Astronauts and responsible, among other things, for crew assignments. Among these was the replacement of Ken Mattingly with Jack Swigert when Mattingly was exposed to measles. This turned out to be a bit of luck; the crew might never have made it back if Mattingly hadn't been available to use his vast expertise in the simulator.

Stafford is also, of course, the person for whom the Museum is named.

*He'd put numerous articles from his personal collection on display, and sold some of them. There was an ownership dispute which resulted in lawsuits and a brief jail sentence.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:15 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 746, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752 ... 829  Next