Although inconsistently paced, there’s enough compelling material here to make for a challenging and thought-provoking fly-on-the-wall’s perspective.
Although there is a fair amount of regurgitation of the news story, "The Dissident" offers sufficient new material to justify its existence.
Not for those who crave light, uplifting entertainment but for anyone who wants a precise, visceral experience from a motion picture.
- Jan 16th 2021 | Rewinding 2020: The Year in Movies (The Top 10)
- Feb 2nd 2020 | Berardinelli's Ballot: The 2020 Oscars
- Dec 31st 2019 | Rewinding 2019: The Year in Review
- Dec 26th 2019 | A Look Back at the 2010s
- Jul 31st 2019 | The 2019 Halftime Top 10
- May 1st 2019 | ReelThoughts Daily Free Preview Information
- Feb 17th 2019 | Berardinelli's Ballot: The 2019 Oscars
This movie seeks to expand the mind and touch the heart without much concern about how many toys it will sell or whether there’s sequel potential.
Although there are times when some of the tonal shifts can be jarring, the production as a whole feels rambunctious – a perfect concoction for the #meToo era.
The action-flavored Western elements are handled adeptly but the movie’s strongest suit is the relationship between the veteran and his young traveling companion.
Falls short of its predecessor on a number of levels and suffers from many of the problems that plague superhero sequels.
Clooney has accomplished something rare and unusual in today’s cinema – an epic science fiction motion picture that focuses on characters and ideas.
In different times, it might have been possible to give "Greenland" a lukewarm recommendation for anyone looking for something frenetic and mindless.
A small film with big ideas, bigger speeches, and two towering performances.