The mediocre mystery/thriller not only fails to draw in viewers but falls short both in terms of world-building and suspense.
It is difficult to overstate how impressive and potentially game-changing this motion picture is. "The Way of Water" re-invents 3D, exceeding by an order of magnitude what Cameron did in 2009.
The film piques the intellect and feeds the bloodlust while offering an experience that only a Cronenberg can deliver.
- Jan 4th 2023 | Rewinding 2022 - The Year in Review (Including Top 10 List)
- Dec 31st 2021 | Rewinding 2021: The Year in Film (Including the Top 10)
- Jan 16th 2021 | Rewinding 2020: The Year in Movies (The Top 10)
- Feb 2nd 2020 | Berardinelli's Ballot: The 2020 Oscars
- Dec 31st 2019 | Rewinding 2019: The Year in Review
- Dec 26th 2019 | A Look Back at the 2010s
- Jul 31st 2019 | The 2019 Halftime Top 10
Works well enough as a popcorn flick that doesn’t demand much in the way of concentration and is a better fit for at-home viewing than watching in a theater.
Highlights a strength of filmmaker Hirokazu Kore-eda – the ability to find compelling truths underneath a veil of sentimentality.
Although Anna Kendrick is the best thing about the movie, her contribution fails to elevate "Alice, Darling" to better than a streaming pick.
The movie offers limited entertainment for those who enjoy this sort of fare but fails as anything more than a throw-away streaming option.
Although aspects of "M3gan" are disappointing, the movie aims higher than most early-year releases.
The things that work outweigh those that do not and the performance by Hanks is the glue that holds everything together.
A by-the-numbers chronicle of the rise and fall of Whitney Houston, the film struggles to find a reason to exist beyond providing an opportunity to listen to her music.