Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat May 23, 2015 10:55 am

Classic Films...where to start? 
Assistant Director

Post Classic Films...where to start?
As a film critic myself and a future filmmaker, it is my new years resolution to watch more classic films. But, I have no idea where to start. I've picked up a few tips from you guys, and I've seen, have in my Netflix queue, or even own other classic films, but you guys have clearly seen many more classic films than me, which is why I don't post as much as I used to.

So, Forum dwellers, will you point me in the direction of some classic movies that I need to watch?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: Classic Films...where to start?
Which ones have you already seen?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Assistant Director

Honestly, just start listing them off...

I've seen or know about the obvious ones (ie The Godfather, Casablanca, etc). It would be faster just to brows through my website (it's on my signature) and take a look.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Regardless of what a lot of people say, I think the IMDb Top 250 is a solid way to start. Check the classics on the list and try to see which ones fit your interests.

Another good start would be to browse TCM's schedule, and see which ones you might like.

I'm very picky about what to watch, in terms of what I'm in the mood for. So my advice would be to not watch films just to cross them off a list. That's why I recommend you see which classics fit your interests first. Eventually, you will start branching out to other interests.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Good place to start is with films by Hitchcock, Wilder, Hawks, and Kurosawa. Plus the usual landmarks like The Searchers, Gone with the Wind, Singin in the Rain, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Third Man, etc. But there's a lot to explore, so many interesting genre trends of that period. A great guide is Andrew Sarris's anthology, Directors and Directions, where he groups classic directors in terms of how important he thinks they are.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 pm
Producer

Am I the only one who couldn't stand The Grapes of Wrath? Maybe I need to see it again, but I found it to be such a chore to sit through.

Of course movies like Casablanca and The Wizard of Oz and Rebel Without a Cause actually still hold up very well today.

Psycho is kind of dated but still good.

One classic movie that I never saw that I had a chance of seeing it on the big screen and I'm kicking myself for missing is On the Waterfront.

I actually own Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia but haven't seen them. Definitely need to get around to watching them. I must confess though, the lengths of Gone with the Wind and Lawrence of Arabia are a big reason why I haven't seen them yet. I don't have anything against long movies. Some of the greatest movies of all time are 3 hours and longer. But when you are getting close to 4 hours, that's a bit much. But it's no excuse. I still want to see them.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:16 pm
Assistant Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Am I the only one who couldn't stand The Grapes of Wrath? Maybe I need to see it again, but I found it to be such a chore to sit through.

Of course movies like Casablanca and The Wizard of Oz and Rebel Without a Cause actually still hold up very well today.

Psycho is kind of dated but still good.

One classic movie that I never saw that I had a chance of seeing it on the big screen and I'm kicking myself for missing is On the Waterfront.

I actually own Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia but haven't seen them. Definitely need to get around to watching them. I must confess though, the lengths of Gone with the Wind and Lawrence of Arabia are a big reason why I haven't seen them yet. I don't have anything against long movies. Some of the greatest movies of all time are 3 hours and longer. But when you are getting close to 4 hours, that's a bit much. But it's no excuse. I still want to see them.

I own that, but haven't seen it. I do know what you mean. I couldn't STAND Shane. It was just awful

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Since no one here is actually being terribly useful (no offense guys, but the man's asking for help and you're all like "go look elsewhere") I have detailed a series of films in genres and sub-genres that you need to see to consider yourself an accomplished man of film. All are from the 70s and before. Hold your applause, please.

The Pantheon - films acknowledged as masterpieces by just about everyone
The Godfather
Citizen Kane
Vertigo
Apocalypse Now
Casablanca
Chinatown

Classic Westerns
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Wild Bunch
High Noon

The Searchers (note - I really don't like this movie, but I'm in a minority)

Hitchcock Classics
Psycho
North by Northwest
Rear Window

See So You Can Have an Opinion On
Gone With the Wind
2001: A Space Odyssey
8 1/2

Foreign Classics of Note
Grand Illusion (The Rules of the Game is more highly regarded but Grand Illusion is a much better film IMO)
The 400 Blows
Rashomon

Z (I always recommend Z, no matter what)

There. That'll start you off well. This is by no means comprehensive and there are many, many great films I left out.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:21 pm
Producer

I don't know. Citizen Kane has an interesting story and is well made, but I'm just not able to get into it. It's one of those movies that I admire more than like. I feel the same way about Raging Bull.

But I certainly am not saying don't see it. It's obviously one of the most influential movies ever made and is definitely one of the most important ones. I just don't see it as a masterpiece.

And I've already said this about North by Northwest, but that's a movie that I liked even though I always wanted to punch the main character in the face. And the movie is a little on the silly side at times. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I actually want to see North by Northwest be remade only with a less annoying lead character and a more serious, less jokey tone.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:50 pm
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
I don't know. Citizen Kane has an interesting story and is well made, but I'm just not able to get into it. It's one of those movies that I admire more than like. I feel the same way about Raging Bull.
But I certainly am not saying don't see it. It's obviously one of the most influential movies ever made and is definitely one of the most important ones. I just don't see it as a masterpiece.

Agree with you on Citizen Kane being not as great as it is cracked up to be. Disagree with you on Raging Bull that is imo every bit as good as it's cracked up to be. Will raise you a Vertigo though. Thought that was pretty average myself <ducks>.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:48 am
Director

The Great Train Robbery, of course. Seriously, it is still worth watching, even if film techniques have changed a lot since then.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:52 am
Director

Apocalypse Now is pretty far from being universally acknowledged as a masterpiece. I saw it a good while ago, but many find it to be extremely flawed or at least uneven, no matter how high it's ranked by Sight and Sound. Citizen Kane is overrated mainly because Orson Welles himself made better, more fascinating movies that deserve greater attention. I subscribe to the Jonathan Rosenbaum notion that for every legendary classic, there's at least another more obscure older semi-classic which may or may not be better and/or more enjoyable than its more famous counterpart.

Naturally, I agree with ilovemovies about Raging Bull and with nitrium about Vertigo :D . The thing is, these may be very good or even great movies, but whenever a single film gets over-focused on, it takes attention away from 10 other more obscure classics that deserve more attention. It's best to just watch as much as you can, even if it may take a while.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:39 am
Second Unit Director

Hoping this doesn't devolve into a which-classic-you-didn't-like and why they sucked thread.... Ohh, too late. If you avoid movies that almost every critic has listed as classic (but some guy on a forum said he didn't like), you're missing a foundation of film-making.

Check out the Criterion Collection. That is going to be a good place to start. You're on a mission and they have many of the waypoints you need. Start combing for "Top 100" lists. I've worked my way through most of them. Top 100 "of all time", Top 100 Westerns, Top 100 Sci-Fi, Top 100 American, -you get the idea.
Oscar nominations are good, but could sometimes represent populist thinking of the time. Generally though, they are pretty good. Palm D' Or, not bad, but challenging.

The most important thing is to not let people talk you out of viewing a classic because they didn't like it. I hated 2001 but it needs to be seen.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:25 am
Critic

Awf Hand wrote:
Hoping this doesn't devolve into a which-classic-you-didn't-like and why they sucked thread.... Ohh, too late. If you avoid movies that almost every critic has listed as classic (but some guy on a forum said he didn't like), you're missing a foundation of film-making.

For real. The man needs to see Citizen Kane, regardless if MGamesCook, Nitrium, and ILoveMovies don't like it. If I go to the Louvre, I'd rather see The Raft of the Medusa than the Mona Lisa. But everyone who visits should still go see the Mona Lisa

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:00 am
Director

Here are some:

Truly Essential For An Understanding Of Cinema

Citizen Kane
Casablanca
It's A Wonderful Life
Sunset Boulevard
The Seven Samurai
The 400 Blows
Yojimbo
Rashomon
The Manchurian Candidate (The Original)
Bonnie And Clyde
Clockwork Orange
Taxi Driver
Jaws
Blue Velvet

Classic Noir

The Maltese falcon
Double Indemnity
Out Of The Past
The Third Man
The Asphalt Jungle
the Killing

Classic Comedies

Some Like It Hot
Dr. Strangelove
The Apartment
The Gold Rush
His Girl Friday
Bringing Up Baby

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:01 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
For real. The man needs to see Citizen Kane, regardless if MGamesCook, Nitrium, and ILoveMovies don't like it. If I go to the Louvre, I'd rather see The Raft of the Medusa than the Mona Lisa. But everyone who visits should still go see the Mona Lisa

Never said I didn't like it. With "not cracked up to be" I mean that it didn't meet my possibly unrealistic expectations based on the all the critical buzz surrounding these films. Same goes for Vertigo. I'd rate them say 6.5/10ish, maybe 7/10. The same sort of rating as Z or Aguirre, the Wrath of God. All good, solid movies to be sure, but not great ones for me personally (of course).

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:25 pm
Producer

I would actually give Citizen Kane 3 stars. I think it's a decent film. I just couldn't get into it. That's all. It's a movie easier to admire than like was all I was trying to say. And I still said that I think people should see it if for no other reason than how influential a movie it was to cinema history.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:53 pm
Director

Yeah I actually never said any of those films should be avoided either. I'm just saying, don't feel like you have to love them. But you do have to see them. But at some point I'll contribute an extensive list of recemmendations. For now, Jeff Wilder's list is a great place to start.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:30 pm
Critic

nitrium wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Never said I didn't like it. With "not cracked up to be" I mean that it didn't meet my possibly unrealistic expectations based on the all the critical buzz surrounding these films. Same goes for Vertigo. I'd rate them say 6.5/10ish, maybe 7/10. The same sort of rating as Z or Aguirre, the Wrath of God. All good, solid movies to be sure, but not great ones for me personally (of course).

*Sighs* Your point is fine, but your opinions are so wrong! ;)

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:09 pm
Assistant Director

Well a "Classic movie" is mainly one which quality still stand out after many years (let's say at least 45 years) , so in that sense, only films from 1970 backwards count imo:

Must see to have your own opinion:
    2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (Stanley Kubrick / 1969)
    VERTIGO (Alfred Hitchcock / 1958)
    CITIZEN KANE (Orson Welles / 1941)

Classics that I love
    REAR WINDOW (Alfred Hitchcock / 1954 )
    ON THE WATERFRONT (Elia Kazan / 1954)
    WIZARD OF OZ, THE (Victor Fleming / 1939 )
    ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, THE (Michael Curtiz & William Keighley / 1938)

Classics that I also recommend
    GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, THE (Sergio Leone / 1966)
    DOLCE VITA, LA (Federico Fellini / 1960)
    SEVEN SAMURAI (Akira Kurosawa / 1954)
    CASABLANCA (Michael Curtiz / 1942)
    M (Fritz Lang / 1931)
    SHERLOCK JR. (Buster Keaton / 1924 )

Of course depending of your definition of "classic" then other films might sneak in such as
    GODFATHER, THE (Francis Ford Coppola / 1972)

Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:53 am
Profile WWW