It is never a good sign when any documentary elements of a bio-pic are more arresting than the dramatized portions.
"Lisa Frankenstein" is a bad Tim Burton movie with two unlikable main characters.
- Jan 3rd 2024 | Rewinding 2023 - The Year in Film
- Jan 4th 2023 | Rewinding 2022 - The Year in Review (Including Top 10 List)
- Dec 31st 2021 | Rewinding 2021: The Year in Film (Including the Top 10)
- Jan 16th 2021 | Rewinding 2020: The Year in Movies (The Top 10)
- Feb 2nd 2020 | Berardinelli's Ballot: The 2020 Oscars
- Dec 31st 2019 | Rewinding 2019: The Year in Review
- Dec 26th 2019 | A Look Back at the 2010s
All the pleasure hinted at by the trailer is illusory. This is the month when Hollywood jettisons its refuse and this particular sampling belongs buried deep in a landfill.
"Origin" offers plenty to ponder and argue; the result is powerful and compelling.
As a sci-fi thriller, it does not disappoint but neither does it go above or beyond what one might reasonably expect based on the trailer.
Although aspects have a cheesy flavor, the raw honesty of the best moments propel the narrative through its less credible pitstops.
The haphazard fashion in which the movie has been assembled argues that this should have been left on the stage where a live production can cover all manner of missteps.
A David Ayer/Jason Statham collaboration in 2024 is something to be avoided if any sort of investment of time or money is involved.
The movie is at its best when it is content with being atmospheric and spooky. As soon is it starts explaining things, the story goes down the drain.