Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:19 pm

Cinematic video games 
Auteur

Post Cinematic video games
So what does everyone think of cinematic video games(I.E. David Cage's games)?

Personally i'm fine with them as long as they have a compelling story and they don't get too caught up in looking pretty at the expensive of everything else(which is what happened with the recent Order 1886, as while many people say it's a great looking game, they said it's also far too short to be worth paying 60 dollars for, it's been criticized for 1/3 of the game length being taken up by unskippable cutscenes and for ending far too abruptly)

I've enjoyed the Metal Gear Solid series(really wish Guns of the Patriots would get released on the Xbox so I can play it).

Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:10 am
Director

Post Re: Cinematic video games
Jim Sterling actually just did a Jimquisition on exactly this topic. Naturally The Order: 1886 is prominently mentioned...
http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/03/ ... cinematic/

I like my games somewhat cinematic, but there also still needs to be an actual game - or otherwise you might as well watch a movie. I absolutely hate QTEs (quick time events).

Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Jim Sterling actually just did a Jimquisition on exactly this topic. Naturally The Order: 1886 is prominently mentioned...

I like my games somewhat cinematic, but there also still needs to be an actual game - or otherwise you might as well watch a movie. I absolutely hate QTEs (quick time events).

I know, i've followed his Jimquisition series for a while now, and while i'll admit the term is badly overused by marketing execs, it's tough to think of a better one.

I think QTEs can be OK if they're done right(I.E. if they're used to make a character perform actions that you couldn't do in normal gameplay), but other times they just feel lazy(most people said they felt very out of place in Order 1886).

One thing I disagree with Jim on is David Cage's games, I think they actually do a pretty good job in regards to emotions and I quite enjoy them.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:52 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
nitrium wrote:

I know, i've followed his Jimquisition series for a while now, and while i'll admit the term is badly overused by marketing execs, it's tough to think of a better one.

I think QTEs can be OK if they're done right(I.E. if they're used to make a character perform actions that you couldn't do in normal gameplay), but other times they just feel lazy(most people said they felt very out of place in Order 1886).

One thing I disagree with Jim on is David Cage's games, I think they actually do a pretty good job in regards to emotions and I quite enjoy them.

I'm not really big on David Cage personally, although I did quite like Indigo Prophesy (aka Fahrenheit). Somewhat cinematic games I really enjoy are the Telltale games, specifically their The Walking Dead games and even more so the The Wolf Among Us, which was one of my favourite games of last year; these do have a lot of QTEs, but given how easy they make them, I don't really have a problem with it there.
I'm making my way through Middle Earth: The Shadow of Mordor at the moment (it has received a lot of Game of the Year awards), but frankly it seems a lot like a reskin/total conversion of Batman: Arkham City (not that that is completely bad or anything, but it does lack originality gameplay-wise). For this type of game, I liked the Tomb Raider (2013) reboot better than either of those, due to how the writers approached Lara's character arc and her delivery by Camilla Luddington which really resonated with me (she seemed weirdly sympathetic and well-developed for a video game character).

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:27 pm
Auteur

Indeed, I am tremendously excited for the upcoming "Rise of the Tomb Raider"

I do agree with Jim on his hatred for pretentious artsy crap like Gone Home and Dear Esther which masquerade as games but are actually not games at all and as such should not be sold on platforms like Steam(Totalbiscuit accurately described Dear Esther as being nothing but holding down the W key).

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:22 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
I do agree with Jim on his hatred for pretentious artsy crap like Gone Home and Dear Esther which masquerade as games but are actually not games at all and as such should not be sold on platforms like Steam(Totalbiscuit accurately described Dear Esther as being nothing but holding down the W key).

Agreed on Gone Home being basically pretentious drivel (with zero fun; fun imo being the core feature of a anything that wants to calls itself a "game"), haven't played Dear Esther. Did you try The Vanishing of Ethan Carter? It's better than Gone Home imo - there's more of an actual game there, and the story is kinda interesting.

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:24 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Agreed on Gone Home being basically pretentious drivel (with zero fun; fun imo being the core feature of a anything that wants to calls itself a "game"), haven't played Dear Esther. Did you try The Vanishing of Ethan Carter? It's better than Gone Home imo - there's more of an actual game there, and the story is kinda interesting.

Haven't played that one yet, but it does sound kind of interesting, so I might.

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:51 pm
Director

I'm not a huge gamer, but I absolutely love a game called L.A. Noire that came out a few years back. It was one of those where I played for 6-8 hours at a time because I had to know what happened next.

Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:03 pm
Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I'm not a huge gamer, but I absolutely love a game called L.A. Noire that came out a few years back. It was one of those where I played for 6-8 hours at a time because I had to know what happened next.

Yeah that was a pretty good game, although it didn't make very good use of it's GTA style sand box game engine imo. The production values and diversity of the cases (and how you go about solving them) were certainly unique. Shame it epically flopped really, there was a lot to like there. Very much "cinematic" with quite good acting too.

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:42 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Yeah that was a pretty good game, although it didn't make very good use of it's GTA style sand box game engine imo. The production values and diversity of the cases (and how you go about solving them) were certainly unique. Shame it epically flopped really, there was a lot to like there. Very much "cinematic" with quite good acting too.

The game actually sold pretty well, but it had such a high budget(mainly from the MotionScan technology which personally I thought made the characters look rather creepy) that it's sales weren't enough to help recoup costs.

The game had an interesting idea but IMO it wasn't executed well, for me it quickly got repetitive and downright boring. Also Cole Phelps wasn't a very likeable character so I found it difficult to care about him, and it seemed pretty random when the game suddenly had you play as another character for the rest of the game near the end. The game's plot was also a total mess and all over the places, with numerous plot holes, unresolved plot threads and a half-baked ending, overall I felt like this was one game which definitely did not live up to the massive hype it received.

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:10 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
The game had an interesting idea but IMO it wasn't executed well, for me it quickly got repetitive and downright boring. Also Cole Phelps wasn't a very likeable character so I found it difficult to care about him, and it seemed pretty random when the game suddenly had you play as another character for the rest of the game near the end. The game's plot was also a total mess and all over the places, with numerous plot holes, unresolved plot threads and a half-baked ending, overall I felt like this was one game which definitely did not live up to the massive hype it received.

Agree that it didn't live up to it's promises, but you have to at least acknowledge it tried something different, i.e. it was overly ambitious, but you have to credit the developers for trying out an original game concept, as opposed to simply making another GTA clone (e.g. Mafia)

Anyway so I finished Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, which won Gamespot's Game of the Year (although Dragon Age: Inquisition won a boatload of them). Anyway, so Shadow of Mordor is very much Assassins Creed clone with the combat of Batman: Arkham City. IMO it was just ok, and like Dragon Age: Inquisition (which is still not as good as Origins), over-rated. Not bad games, but certainly not classics.

Next on my list is Valkyrie Chronicles. Sort of like a an interactive anime. Seems to be more cutscenes (= cinematic?) than game, but it's certainly very different visually.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:28 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Agree that it didn't live up to it's promises, but you have to at least acknowledge it tried something different, i.e. it was overly ambitious, but you have to credit the developers for trying out an original game concept, as opposed to simply making another GTA clone (e.g. Mafia)

Anyway so I finished Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, which won Gamespot's Game of the Year (although Dragon Age: Inquisition won a boatload of them). Anyway, so Shadow of Mordor is very much Assassins Creed clone with the combat of Batman: Arkham City. IMO it was just ok, and like Dragon Age: Inquisition (which is still not as good as Origins), over-rated. Not bad games, but certainly not classics.

Next on my list is Valkyrie Chronicles. Sort of like a an interactive anime. Seems to be more cutscenes (= cinematic?) than game, but it's certainly very different visually.
Yeah I do give it props for trying to do something different, I just wish the story and characters were better written.

I only heard of Shadow of Mordor because of the infamously shady deal with how review copies were so tightly controlled(basically any influential person on Youtube who wanted to do videos on the game had to do a brand deal, and they were not allowed to show any glitches or say anything negative about the game).

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:06 am
Director

For those (like myself) that don't have a PS3/PS4 so miss out on the Sony exclusives or are non-gamers, Grant Voegtle has created a "Cinematic Playthrough" of The Last of Us. It's actually pretty well done, and you can seriously watch it much in the same manner as any movie or TV show (it's still obviously a video game though). There will be 7 episodes in total (the first 6 are available now).
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... gh+Episode

Mon May 11, 2015 7:39 pm