Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:41 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Under The Dome 
Author Message
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 621
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Under The Dome
OK...OK...I think the only reason these summer shows are half-way popular is because there is nothing else much new that's on during the Summer months (THAT ain't news). And like most Stephen King TV adaptations this one is filled with uni-dimensional caricatures and an "intriguing premise" that is very difficult to stretch out over multiple seasons of TV, but try they will. Gilligan tried to get off that damn island for three (successful) seasons before he finally made it 10 years later in a TV movie.

Anyway, I was a bit disappointed that this was renewed for a 2nd season last year because that meant they'd be dragging out the story. I would have much preferred this to be a "mini-series" with most of the big questions answered at the end of the run and be done. But alas, success breeds an expanded story (for the record, I've never read the book/short story/novella/whatever by King that this is based on).

So season 2 kicked off with a couple of new characters brought in to supplement the executions of 2 major characters last night. Those deaths were pretty shocking. Also, a nice cameo by King himself in one of the diner scenes getting a cup of coffee from Angie.


Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:07 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2288
Post Re: Under The Dome
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I wasn't surprised by Linda's death but was surprised and disappointed by Angie's. :(


Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:01 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 621
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Under The Dome
Me too. I found an interview with King yesterday from last year where he was addressing fan concerns about the differences between the book and the show and he mentioned that by midway through the events in season 1, that character you mentioned had already bit it....I guess the TV writers had a different plan. Maybe they re-thought that character over the break between seasons and thought the killings would help them to amp up the 2nd season. I mean....there were deaths in season 1, but I don't think many fans were too broken up over the loss of Dodee.


Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:42 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 621
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Under The Dome
Think it's about time this show to call it a day. The premise has been stretched but there's only so much wheel spinning and mini-crises that can be portrayed without this thing becoming a parody of itself. Give it a final resolution and be done with it already.


Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:52 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2288
Post Re: Under The Dome
This stopped being a quality show before season 1 ended. That being said, I must say, I gave up on the show a while ago but since I was actually home for a change on a Monday night, I decided to watch the show, give it another try since I do like the cast a lot. And I gotta say, silly as it may be, I think the show kind of won be back. The whole thing with the dome getting so cold, it intrigued me. And now with the dome starting to shrink, I like it. This is real life and death conflict that they have to deal with now that they have to figure or die and that to me is much more compelling to me than Big Jim being told he has to make a sacrifice or everyone in town is going to die. That was just stupid to me.

BTW, because I stopped watching, I never did find out who killed Angie. Was it Junior?


Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:02 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 621
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Under The Dome
ilovemovies wrote:
This stopped being a quality show before season 1 ended. That being said, I must say, I gave up on the show a while ago but since I was actually home for a change on a Monday night, I decided to watch the show, give it another try since I do like the cast a lot. And I gotta say, silly as it may be, I think the show kind of won be back. The whole thing with the dome getting so cold, it intrigued me. And now with the dome starting to shrink, I like it. This is real life and death conflict that they have to deal with now that they have to figure or die and that to me is much more compelling to me than Big Jim being told he has to make a sacrifice or everyone in town is going to die. That was just stupid to me.

BTW, because I stopped watching, I never did find out who killed Angie. Was it Junior?


Uh-oh...soap opera time....
[Reveal] Spoiler:
No...it was Sam, Jr's Uncle. He had seen Jr's mom's paintings and thought that if he killed the "4 hands" the dome would come down. She was the first one he got to but then he started having 2nd thoughts when he found out Jr. was one of "the hands."


Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:19 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 621
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Under The Dome
Well...that was quite the finale. Don't know that I've seen that many people bludgeoned or threatened with a hammer on network television since the blooper reel of This Old House. Now THAT'S what I expect from a Stephen King property.

If you are cute girl on this show your future looks pretty dicey. Which explains why Nouri has lasted this long....


Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:34 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 621
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Under The Dome
<Sigh> I've just about given up on this, it is getting quite stupid. The only thing that keeps me going is I've been in for this long already, I feel some sort of investment. Sadly an investment that will not provide a decent return. The characters are no longer all that likable and the story has just gone off the rails. Not that there was really all that much you could do with this premise beyond 1 season, but it is all so silly.

Especially hard to take when everything we've seen to date is supposed to have taken place in something like 3-4 weeks.


Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:48 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1514
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Under The Dome
Johnny Larue wrote:
<Sigh> I've just about given up on this, it is getting quite stupid. The only thing that keeps me going is I've been in for this long already, I feel some sort of investment. Sadly an investment that will not provide a decent return. The characters are no longer all that likable and the story has just gone off the rails. Not that there was really all that much you could do with this premise beyond 1 season, but it is all so silly.

Especially hard to take when everything we've seen to date is supposed to have taken place in something like 3-4 weeks.

You just EXACTLY described my feelings for Lost, which I near religiously watched right to its bitterly disappointing, unsatisfactory, unresolved end. Now I'm 100% sure I'll never watch Under the Dome.


Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:07 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1513
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Under The Dome
Except the first half of season 2 and a few episodes towards the end of season 1, Lost was never bitter for me. Good performances, lively sideplots, and engaging interactions are abound.

Under the Dome, on the other hand, I abandoned after season 1. I loved the book, and was really apprehensive at first when I heard it was going to run for more than one season. Now, it doesn't have to stick to the book for work, but everything they add or change is getting increasingly ridiculous, and even the things that stay somewhat close to the book are executed so bad. So after the weak ending to the season, I was out.


Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:19 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3905
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Under The Dome
peng wrote:
Except the first half of season 2 and a few episodes towards the end of season 1, Lost was never bitter for me. Good performances, lively sideplots, and engaging interactions are abound.

Under the Dome, on the other hand, I abandoned after season 1. I loved the book, and was really apprehensive at first when I heard it was going to run for more than one season. Now, it doesn't have to stick to the book for work, but everything they add or change is getting increasingly ridiculous, and even the things that stay somewhat close to the book are executed so bad. So after the weak ending to the season, I was out.

I never liked Lost from the beginning, it just seemed like the writers pulled whatever random plot points they could out of their ass every episode, even my sister, who initially liked the show got sick of it around season 3.

I found none of the characters in Lost likeable or memorable(Sawyer and Jack especially, somehow they managed to be both bland and unlikeable) and the show threw in so many dumb things that I was too busy scratching my head trying to figure out what the hell was going on instead of being engaged.

Oh and I don't' believe for one minute that the writers had the entire series planned out from the beginning, it's far too much of a mess for that to possibly be the case.


Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:09 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1513
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Under The Dome
I liked Lost from the beginning. I found many of the characters in Lost likeable or memorable(Sawyer and Jack especially) and the show threw in so many intriguing things that I was too busy wanting to see what the hell was going on next and being engaged.I believe for one minute that the writers had at least one season planned at each one's outset, it's entertaining enough for that to possibly be the case.


Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:36 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2288
Post Re: Under The Dome
Lost is amazing. In fact, it's tied as my favorite show of all time. The characters are incredibly written and complex (Jack, Locke and Ben being the best), the story is fascinating. I love a great sci-fi/fantasy show and Lost is definitely a great one for it's genre.

Even when Under the Dome was good (the first season), it still didn't come close to matching Lost. I haven't seen any of the current season but I do eventually plan on catching up even the show just isn't all that great anymore. I think it's out lived it's welcome. It only should have had 1 season. It's just trying to stretch it's story to the point where it's really thin now. But I still plan on catching up. I do like this ensemble cast a lot.


Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:17 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3905
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Under The Dome
ilovemovies wrote:
Lost is amazing. In fact, it's tied as my favorite show of all time. The characters are incredibly written and complex (Jack, Locke and Ben being the best), the story is fascinating. I love a great sci-fi/fantasy show and Lost is definitely a great one for it's genre.

Even when Under the Dome was good (the first season), it still didn't come close to matching Lost. I haven't seen any of the current season but I do eventually plan on catching up even the show just isn't all that great anymore. I think it's out lived it's welcome. It only should have had 1 season. It's just trying to stretch it's story to the point where it's really thin now. But I still plan on catching up. I do like this ensemble cast a lot.

Well to each their own, but I personally thought it was one of the dumbest shows in existence, this article does a good job of summing why the show did not deserve the critical praise it got:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/22/the-four-reasons-lost-will-go-down-in-history-as-a-bad-tv-show/


Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:43 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 621
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Under The Dome
Heard on the radio this morning that CBS was giving this the ax. And not a moment too soon. If you tuned in early and have since lost touch, watch the final 2 episodes forthcoming to see how far this sucker has jumped the shark.


Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:26 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr